pesky windows

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I just picked up the replacement channel for the window from Citroen and it's a one piece all aluminium item designed to run the whole length of the glass and replace both channels. The barbed rubber is now barbed aluminium. It's obviously been made generic to fit a wide range of models from the PSA stable.

I'm now going down the barn to curse and swear and maybe have some luck with fitting these things!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Todd !
toddao wrote:I just picked up the replacement channel for the window from Citroen and it's a one piece all aluminum item designed to run the whole length of the glass and replace both channels. The barbed rubber is now barbed aluminum. It's obviously been made generic to fit a wide range of models from the PSA stable.

I'm now going down the barn to curse and swear and maybe have some luck with fitting these things!

Have you got the rubber strip (Item #3) as shown in the Microfiche posting ?
As you will need that to fit between the glass/window (Item #1) and you newer type of Aluminum riser channel (Item #2), if you don't fit this rubber strip, your window may detached it self in future at some time !

RxBX
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It didn't quite go to plan..

The window on the driver's side was jammed up with the motor seemingly haven given up the ghost - the switch just caused a click. I couldn't move the bloody thing anywhere even though one of the channels had already fallen off. I thought about it and approached it calmly, tried to remove the motor but couldn't get any play at all to detach it. Then I decided I had to remove the other front channel some how but it was bonded with kryptonite or something and while trying to slowly lever it off the window it multiplied into a million pieces which went everywhere including a few thousand in my tool kit! Shit!

After cleaning up the widely scattered glass for years ( ok, half hour) I remembered that I had a spare motor somewhere so I plugged it in and it gave the same 'click' even though I knew it was good. That's when I thought the switch must have issues. After cleaning it this proved to be correct and both motors were working - I don't understand why it clicked but didn't run though.

So, deciding that it might be a good idea to have a window when I take the wife shopping later I set off to a Citroen aquaintance just as it started raining a lovely horizontal cold rain through the empty frame and reminded me why we have windows. He had a breaker BX but with smoked glass which wouldn't look good with my clear glass but anyway he wouldn't let me remove it until tomorrow for some odd reason.

I decided to plunder the yellow break which was buried in the back of the barn. When I eventually managed to access it by moving loads of shite and remove the glass I saw that though built a year after the TRD ( 1986) it had the 'new improved' runner with - as RXBX so kindly pointed out - the rubber inserts. I think Jaba mentioned them too a few days back.

I fitted it with no problems by removing the motor to engage the runners ( don't know why this foxed me before) and had it all back together when wife/baby/dog arrived for the mission.

Just got to find another window for the yellow break now. I know it was a bit of a cock up but I learnt a few things today and that's compensation. Thanks again for help everyone. Time for a small beers
Todd

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

''Time for a small 1''

On that good news I feel I might aswell help you celebrate and go for 1 aswell! :D
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Does anyone know what the deal was with 'smoked' or 'toned' windows on BXs? It seems every one that I've found after sifting through quite a few over the weekend is smoked. Was it only the early models that had clear glass?

I've got Remy on the case now - he's having a look in the scrapyards this week on the French side.
Todd

Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

I'm probably burbling out of my exhaust port here, but I seem to recall being told in France that smoked glass was fitted to cars destined for sunnier climes - meaning UK spec vehicles tended to get clear windows - for reasons that escape me. :lol:

Knowing my luck, that's almost certainly testicular in origin - but worth chucking into the melting pot, n'est pas? :wink:
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Must be a poverty spec / earlier model thing for the UK, as the K plater I was spannering had tinted windows and they are original (on the VIN spec).

Can't be the weather as it also had a sunroof... 8)
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

DELETED ..... Forum playing games again. :cry:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Both my early diesels - '85 and '86 have clear glass. One, indeed is 'pov spec' having manual door windows ( less to go wrong) but the other the TRD is 'Tres Riche' unlike its owner.
I pulled a couple of windows out of a friend's hedge on Saturday where they'd been incorporating themselves into the environment. It was only when I'd cleaned the bloody things ( quite a colony of bugs etc in the runners) that I realised it wasn't all dirt but... smoked! Argghhh!
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I just repaired the passenger side window. Removing the forward channel was quite difficult, another Kryptonite job. No wonder the other window broke in situ.
I had to heat it with a hot air gun, then saw into it with a hacksaw enough to get a purchase for some gentle levering with a screwdriver til it popped off. If only the back one had been so well bonded.

Then I removed the channel from one of those windows I pulled out of the hedge and applied it to the passenger side window with the rubber mallet and re- installed. Simple! Once you know how to do it ( like most things).
Now I've got two opening front windows again, just in time for Spring.

Oh, and I can take those new channels back to Citroen tomorrow and get the €38.50 back!
Todd