Can you lubricate an ignition switch?

BX Tech talk
Simon B
BXpert

Can you lubricate an ignition switch?

Post by Simon B »

When I took my new '91 BX to the local Citroen guru for a once over after purchase, one of the few comments he made was that the ignition key/switch feels very gooey, and does not self return very fell after starting. I have been told it is probably the original switch as it uses the older style key.

I was wondering if it is possible / sensible to squirt anything into the switch to lubricate / soften the goo, or am I likely to do more harm, eg contaminate electrics/plastics/rubber. Should I just live with it?

Apart from that, it seems a pretty flippin good car, so far ! :D Enjoying getting to know it.
Have
1971 Dyane - This IS the ONE :D
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Xantia, BX19 GTI, Dyane, BX14RE, AX, 2 x Visa 652, Dyane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The locks do fail quite regularly, and you will find it eventually wont return from the start position unless you do it, worth keeping an eye out for a new barrell or complete lock set if poss. You will find alot of BX's have had new lock sets and the glovebox doesnt match!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Not sure what it is called in the UK but there is a Electrical Contact cleaner spray that lubricates and cleans. Used it a few times on some sticky ignition barrels seemed to work.

Worse case is having the replace it someday.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Maplins sell it in an aerosol can with a long probe spout wossname Kiwi - top stuff too! I use it a lot to clean up computer kit, and it evaporates away leaving no residue, and cleans up sticky locks a treat.

It sorted out my ignition barrel perfectly.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Tab ... &U=Strat15
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Nice tip Bob.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

I thank you guv'nor <bows deeply - blushes 'n stuff> :oops: :wink:
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

Linegeist wrote:Maplins sell it in an aerosol can with a long probe
Thanks. That sounds like the business, and I have a Maplin close by, so also a good excuse for a trip out in the Dyane (for a change) :)
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Bob's tip is all very well as long as you re/apply some fresh lock lube afterwards,

but make sure you use a proper lock lube with grafite, do not put any old oil in locks as thats what causes the problem in the first place,

saying all that the usual fault will be the tumblers are more than likely worn out, so it will completly fail soon after cleanning

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kk-kolonel

Post by kk-kolonel »

Replaced my BX Diesel Ignition barrell last night - hmmmm grrrrr need 3 hands in a space you can get only 1 hand into.. But I did get it finished after an hour of swearing..
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I would certainly consider a new barrel asap as if it does go and you cannot get a key into it as happened to me last year then you have a whole heap of trouble. Managed to replace mine without too much difficulty, most time spent was removing all the plastic from around the steering column. Having the motor in an awkward position outside with the window wound down and being unable to do much about it was the real problem. If its giving trouble then its bound to go soon and its much easier to remove before it breaks.

Andy
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

Thanks guys for all the advice, and after due consideration I have bought a new lock set from AEP and will change the ignition switch as a priority when I get a chance. At the moment (touches wood) it is the worst thing about the car, and is not inspiring confidence. eg. It is difficult to be sure if the key has turned back far enough to disengage starter!
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I once lubricated one of mine, 2 days later the tumblers in the lock failed, so there I was in a carpark with big hammer & screwdriver. :oops:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

What's the chance of that. As soon as I buy a new set one comes on ebay, doh! :roll:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-B-X-LOCK- ... 3a58bcbdb1
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had