will it work (D6C + DFW)

BX Tech talk
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

will it work (D6C + DFW)

Post by akarso »

I have an opportunity to buy freshly overhauled D6C engine without loom and ancillaries. I want to swap it with my DFW, retaining ECU, loom, lambda sensor etc. from DWF and block, head, sensors from D6C.

Will it be "best of both worlds", or is there any possibility that somehow these elements won't match?
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I have an older DFW engine fitted to my car which originally shipped with a two row ECU (ie no knock sensor, square engine harness connectors), it now runs from a three row ECU without any problems. So i can't invisage any problems running a D6C with a DFW loom, in terms of sensors etc the engines are fundamentally the same.

Might be worth asking the same question on BX16valve.com as there are more european users who have performed all manner of changes to there valvers.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

No you dont Vanny, your engine is a D6C.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

Vanny wrote:I have an older DFW engine fitted to my car which originally shipped with a two row ECU (ie no knock sensor, square engine harness connectors), it now runs from a three row ECU without any problems. So i can't invisage any problems running a D6C with a DFW loom, in terms of sensors etc the engines are fundamentally the same.

Might be worth asking the same question on BX16valve.com as there are more european users who have performed all manner of changes to there valvers.
well, D6C is older than DFW :-)

I am not sure if knock sensor has a mounting point on D6C block. I'll ask at the valvers forum, thanks.
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

docchevron wrote:No you dont Vanny, your engine is a D6C.
Probably, your more likely to know than me. I keep forgetting its an older engine than the shell.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

akarso wrote:
I am not sure if knock sensor has a mounting point on D6C block. I'll ask at the valvers forum, thanks.
The knock sensor can be fitted to ANY alloy block XU since it replaces one of the main bearing cap cross bolts on Number 3 bearing.
Can be found just inboard of the oil filter.

Vanny wrote:Probably, your more likely to know than me. I keep forgetting its an older engine than the shell.
It is, definitley, I was there when I removed it from the car!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...