16v Exhaust?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

16v Exhaust?

Post by toddao »

I need to get a new exhaust for the 16v as mine is cactus ( though the last monkey who owned it sprayed it silver! Why??)
Anyway, the range is bewildering and I want to make sure I buy the right one. Is it a standard item from BX16 upwards or what? Every advert I look at on Ebay says something different and the Service Citroen website doesn't enlighten either - not specifying a separate 16v exhaust. It's a non Cat car by the way.
Guidance appreciated. Thankyou
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

Take a look at this:

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/

Click on the exhaust part and it'll send you to a section of the site with diagrams and pricings for exhaust parts.

I'm interested in other responses too as I have a 16v exhaust that I'm interested to see will fit my 8v. :wink:
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ah, that's interesting but quite pricey - especially that I'm offshore. There's this on Ebay - finest Polish quality but there's a pipe missing by the looks of it.
Todd

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

The Citroen BX 16v has a unique exhaust. It has a splitter in the front pipe that runs nearly all the way to the resonator. Without the splitter i'm told you loose a lot of bottom end grunt, making the whole valver experience a little lethargic.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The Polish exhaust offered on Ebay doesn't have this front pipe you refer to Vanny. What's the Resonator by the way? The front pipe actually seems to be Ok - it's just the rest behind it that is a lovely, rusted 'silver'.
Anyone got any reasons why I shouldn't go Polish? ( I'm sure we've got some Polish members?) I'm not going to buy something immediately but take the old one off and see what, if anything, I can salvage.
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Looking at that link that Scrappydoo posted, it's the front pipe that costs the €€€s and is exclusive to the 16v - from behind that, my understanding is the rest is standard - that's what I think I've understood from looking at Service Citroen just now.
Todd

scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

That was my understanding too looking at the diagrams. Will a 16v exhuast front pipe fit an 8v though? :?
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

When I looked on the Service Citroen site it seemed to indicate that this front pipe was only for the 16v. Unfortunately I don't know how to post the diagrams from said site. ( if it doesn't fit Scrappydoo and you don't need it? :wink: €€s)
Todd

scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

toddao wrote:When I looked on the Service Citroen site it seemed to indicate that this front pipe was only for the 16v. Unfortunately I don't know how to post the diagrams from said site. ( if it doesn't fit Scrappydoo and you don't need it? :wink: €€s)

Nice try Todd! :wink:
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

toddao wrote: Anyone got any reasons why I shouldn't go Polish? ( I'm sure we've got some Polish members?) I'm not going to buy something immediately but take the old one off and see what, if anything, I can salvage.
I could tell You from experience, because I have just replaced original exhaust with asmet (the one You linked to is bosal, I suppose) but my car is immobile due to other reasons at the moment.

But in a week or two I should be able to compare both exhausts.
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Right then.

The 16v front pipe is unique to the 16v and will not fit the 8V.

The rear box, cross box and intermediate pipe are the same for 16v, GTi, TD etc..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Todd, apologies for hijacking your post.

While we are on exhaust systems. 16v needs a new rear box and trying to fit a respectable straight chrome tailpipe end, rather than the all-in-one curved end type currently available.
The old box has the oval tail end, connected to a 48mm OD pipe.
Thinking of modifying an estate box, because of the slightly longer last straight section of pipe but not sure of the OD of estates on this section of pipe

Would be grateful if any member with an estate could measure the OD on this last section of pipe, also the length of straight rear facing section, after the slight bend..

Correct me if I’m wrong. Going back a few years I believe at sometime?? the turbo estate O/E, had a larger pipe entering and exiting the rear box??
Many Thanks

Regards
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's cold, and dark (not that I'm scared of the dark!) at the moment but I'll have a look at the OD tomorrow. Can't help you with the length though, as I've got rid of the box and welded in a straight through section.

EDIT - just remembered that the rear section (genuine Citroen) after the cross box on my TD is exactly the same diameter as the section before the cross box from a 16v. I know this as that's the pipe I used to make up the system, and would have been easier if it was slightly bigger or smaller so I could have sleeved the joint...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The BX16V exhaust front pipe will not fit the 8v, at least not properly.

I have tried it, and it broke on speed humps.

I would sell the 16V part, and use the cash to buy the right part for the GTI.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Good, thankyou. All understood now. Scrappydoo, I sent you a PM!

I found a deal here for €50 inc post for the two rear pipes and backbox - seems to be the lowest offer.
Todd