16v Exhaust?

BX Tech talk
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

The rear box, cross box and intermediate pipe for 16v, GTi, TD connect with flandge's, all other modles the joints are internal type conections, were one bit goes inside the other,

BOSAL's online cataloug is also a good reference

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/ex ... search.php

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I wasn't able to remove the exhaust last night for inspection as we're having a cold spell here - winter has returned with a vengeance, it was -7 last night.

Anyway, I noticed that there are very slight amounts of exhaust coming out of the heater vents inside the car! As I mentioned before the middle pipe has a hole in it but the intake for the heater is somewhere near the manifold . Anyone had this before?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

are you sure you has exhaust fumes comming through the heater vents,

may be its steam from a leaky heater matrix, as the cabbin air intake is in the scuttle between the engine bay and the wind screen,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Perhaps Todd could sit in the car with the engine running and windows closed as a test?
If he reports back that his pores are cleansed and he feels more relaxed after his impromptu sauna then we'll know it was steam. If he doesn't post back it must have been exhaust fumes after all...

In all seriousness, I know my shell had a rubber grommet above the exhaust in the floorpan below where the heater matrix is. This is to drain any condensed water from the evaporator on A/C cars. Could it be possible that exhaust fumes are coming up through a failed grommet and seeming to come from the footwell vents? How does the exhaust sound?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

:lol:

Yeah, thanks Mat! Very advanced rubber grommet concept too ( though I've learnt on the BX every theory has to be considered)
Malcolm, I too had considered it to be steam but the engine wasn't really warm enough at that point to generate steam.
It just comes in occasional puffs through the top dash right hand vent - it's a cloud of something but I don't know what as I haven't been able to 'sniff' it as such as I'm sitting on the other side.
The exhaust sounds alright considering there's a hole in it. But fumes exit from this broken middle pipe and roll along the bottom of the car. This obviously wouldn't happen if it was moving but the car is more or less stationary as I'm working on it for its TÜV ( MoT).
I couldn't think how exhaust fumes could somehow penetrate the heater matrix. Something tells me that the TÜV is going to be quite an undertaking!
Todd

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Bit of a numpty question, possibly, you say a cloud of stuff, can you see it, feel it, hear it or smell it, or all of the above? Any idea on duration, i guess if its a 'puff' then it would be quick/short duration?
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

Also probably a daft question, but presumably you don't have air con, and this isn't condensation? You often get see it on aircraft waiting to take off.
Have
1971 Dyane - This IS the ONE :D
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Xantia, BX19 GTI, Dyane, BX14RE, AX, 2 x Visa 652, Dyane
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Vanny, I know it's an odd one! I have assumed it's exhaust as there's a petrol smell in the car sometimes. It appears as a small low density cloud for a very short duration.
Simon, I don't have A/C yet - this is the next project as I have a donor GTI with 'air' though it's sat for ages so the system might have corroded or have other problems. Anyway, the condensation idea is also interesting considering how cold it's been here recently - there was even snow on the valver the other day though it's sat inside a barn. The roof tiles must have lifted slightly with the winds.
I'm waiting for the weather to break to get back to work. Then they'll be a load more questions for the 'BX detectives'!
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It took me longer than expected but I got under the car yesterday and cut the exhaust off with an angle-grinder ( horrible).

The intermediate pipe had been welded (!) to the front pipe and the expansion box. I think this is why the bloody thing fractured as it had no flexibility. When I removed it, I found that the end of the front pipe was rusty mush and that the expansion box was full of water and has therefore probably rusted out from the inside.

So, I've either got to get a new front pipe if I can find one or weld on a new section, if I can find the right section pipe. I've no idea where the water in the expansion box came from - it did sit for five years before I bought it but...?
This car was last owned by Wyatt Earp/ Billy the Kid or similar resident of the Wild West! ----^

( If anyone's got a spare 16v front pipe lying around.. :wink: I know a good European courier service)
Todd

rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

mat_fenwick wrote:If he reports back that his pores are cleansed and he feels more relaxed after his impromptu sauna then we'll know it was steam. If he doesn't post back it must have been exhaust fumes after all...
FFS... I'm giggling like a loon now! :D
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I found a front pipe here in The Fatherland today for €107 reduced from €180 - made by Walker - one piece only. Probably better than welding and farting around bodging and it can hold the rest of the heap together! :D

That's worn me out writing that better have a beers
Todd