Replacement strap for the reseve fuel tank

BX Tech talk
Mothman

Replacement strap for the reseve fuel tank

Post by Mothman »

Hi everybody,

havnt been on the forum for a while, been a bit stressed looking after mum but thought i would tell you of a cheap n easy fix.

The strap that holds the reserve fuel tank on my BX Diesel Estate went west last year, ime sure it was buggered before its last MOT but it got through ok. Anyway, its due on Wednesday and the strap had completely corroded away. Had a brainwave, got hold of a length of strapping from my local hardware store, the stuff builders use and fitted it within 10 minutes on Sunday. OK, its full of drilled holes but fits and only cost £2.50 and does the job just fine. Hope the MOT inspector likes it, would have probably failed without it so a quick n cheap fix.

Andy
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Hi Andy,

To cover up the holes if you need to? Thread it through an old cycle tube, works well on the original type of flat band.

Regards
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

prm wrote:Hi Andy,

To cover up the holes if you need to? Thread it through an old cycle tube, works well on the original type of flat band.

Regards
Thanks for that bud,

i reccon the strapping will outlast the poor old girl so ime going to have a go with the 'waxoyl' on the underside this summer.

Many thanks.

Andy
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

BX reserve tank strap

Post by Mark.T »

Not sure if this is the same thing you are on about... but a few years back some handy mechanic replaced the rusty band that was on my Series 2 with what appears to be a used cam belt! Nicely held in place with a washer and all!
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Very similar Mark.

i suspect that yours is secured with a nut n bolt both ends whilst the metal strap i used is hooked through a couple of slots and only secured with a bolt on one end. Works fine for both of us as mine went through the MOT on Wednesday with nothing needed to be done. Not bad for a 17 year old motor.

Andy
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I love that cambelt strap. Excellent idea.

Will fit one to mine when I am under the car as my strap is rusting away rapidly too.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

they are both good idea's, i repaired a customers tank strap years ago by just cutting a length of sheet steel, then reused the rubber protective strip from the original and boltted it up in place,

were in Sussex are you Andy,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi Malcolm.

ime in a place called Wadhurst, just south of Tun Wells. Where are you?

I too used the bit of rubber strap that was with the original strip of metal. Had to be well cleaned though, 17 years of rust and muck to get rid of.

Poor old thing has let me down a little, front offside electric window now falls out of the windowframe, i think the runners have disintegrated.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

im in St Leonards on sea and run my own car repair shop, preferably if and when there are enough localy on older citroens, i do have various BX parts here and there,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)