Speedo / speedo cable 'some intermittent screeching'

BX Tech talk
macplaxton
BXpert

Speedo / speedo cable 'some intermittent screeching'

Post by macplaxton »

Following on from here (thought it would be better to start a new thread in the appropriate section).

"I had the [HP] belt tightened a few days before I headed south, it did not look oily, just a bit slack. The new (intermittent) noise is definitely speedo related – it actually stopped working briefly at one point."

Are speedo heads known to be problematic? I'm presuming it's a cable driven speedo, but don't have a manual here to check. Suggestions gratefully received.
Last edited by macplaxton on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

My French Mk1 would do the screechy speedo thing when it got cold - not very often in France. As it warmed up - in use - it got progressively quieter until it stopped for awhile.

My French Citroen Mechanic chum advised me not to whip the binnacle off and spray the head with 3 in 1 ... my preferred solution. Buggered if I can remember why, but it was a big 'non-non' of some kind.

I eventually got another one from a local scrappie and swapped 'em over.
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Cheers Bob. I think 3-1 oil is a "bad idea" too. If only because I remember it being a no-no for Sturmey-Archer hub gears. The reason I cannot remember either.

This guy bought this car about 5 years ago having had 2 previous BXs. It's predecessor was a white auto which ended up in one of his lock-ups for some reason. Can't remember exactly what, but it may have been an electrical fire. Anyway, it sat in the lock-up for 4 years to be robbed when necessary for spares. Reviewing the household budget, it was decided to scrap the BX as it was costing a lock-up in rent and nothing was really taken off it in that time (it even had a new ignition switch on it!). Well I suggested he keep on the lock-up and I'd get him to look after my Volvo for me and keep it in there. So about 5 days before this one spat it's dummy out, the old white one was weighed in.

A case of very bad timing.

Perhaps some lube of a more appropriate nature would be more practical. I thinking of more the sort of stuff a clock maker would use.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Linegeist wrote:spray the head with 3 in 1
I'd be inclined to advise against that also...

A 'dry' lube would probably be much better for the speedo as it won't pick up dust/dirt and gum things up.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I would try playing with the speed cable, the 19TZI had a noisy speedo, turned out the cable was at too sharp of an angle going in to the back of the head, there was plenty of "free" cable at the gearbox end which pushed through the bulkhead took the strain off the other and it worked.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Thanks for the suggestions.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Roverman wrote:I would try playing with the speed cable, the 19TZI had a noisy speedo, turned out the cable was at too sharp of an angle going in to the back of the head, there was plenty of "free" cable at the gearbox end which pushed through the bulkhead took the strain off the other and it worked.
Will second that a fiddle with the cable seems to cure this. Also a point to watch is where the two parts of the cable joins in the engine bay. Sometimes you can accidentally knock it and if it is not sitting right get problems with the speedo.

Imagine the cable like a hose pipe if you got a kink on it then the water struggles to flow.

Avoid using any oils on it if you are going to regrease it get the right stuff.