Is it a cam? Is it a gudgeon pin? Is it a big end.......?

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Is it a cam? Is it a gudgeon pin? Is it a big end.......?

Post by Linegeist »

Nope - it's a bleedin' HP pump again!! :evil:

Got pump No3 in the post from Pleiades yesterday. The previous 2 in this long-running saga were in varying stages of knackerdom but I've been running on their second one in the Athena because I haven't had time to do yet another swapout (nice people keep breaking their silly computers :roll: £££££ :twisted: ). The second pump's 'only' problems were the seriously twitchy-and-heavy steering at low engine speeds and the bloody rattling noise the thing made all the time. I could live with that short-term.

Now, just to add a little fizz to my already complicated life, during the last few weeks, I noticed a cam follower getting noisy. Definitely half engine speed and in the top-end area .... 'course it might be a small end bearing opening up (the car's been viciously clocked at some point). Then the noise changed - and got a bit worrying. Deffo big end this time, slower and deeper and got noticeably louder on a lightly trailing throttle and more intrusive the hotter the engine got. Ho hum - nomadic engine noises. Deep joy! It looked like engine out time. :roll:

Yesterday dawned bright and sunny - amazing! No ice, no rain, no snow ..... I'd obviously died in my sleep and had woken in paradise. I decided not to look for my seventy virgins right away (or whatever the current entitlement is). Instead, just to punish myself and ensure I retained as much as possible of my standard British post-winter depression, I was going to swap out the HP pump yet again for the nice shiny recon unit. Once I'd done that I was going to break out the stethoscope and pin down the noise that was doing the castanet fandango in the engine bay.

My first pump swap took me about 3 hours. This time, I just opened the bonnet, whistled loudly, and the two pumps obediently swapped places without any interference from me. :wink: The interesting thing, on starting the engine immediately afterwards, was the almost total silence. The terminal big-end/wrist-pin/cam lobe racket had gone, disappeared, buggered off! :shock: The racket was all down to that bloody pump! :evil:

Now I'm not a novice with engines. I was in the motor trade until age 40 and spend most of my non-computer time in my workshop up to my armpits in swarf and oil so, after 3 weeks in which to firm up my diagnosis, I'd have bet anyone twenty quid that my engine was in for major surgery. I'd have lost. :?

What puzzles me is how that HP pump was able to do such an amazingly accurate impersonation of those engine faults. What the hell's in there that can create such an intrusive clatter?

By contrast, the car's now transformed. The engine's completely rattle-free (I took it for a 20 mile pedal-session to make damned sure) and the suspension leaps to its feet like a recruit facing an RSM - and the steering's gone all light and fingertip-floaty. Lovely!

I just can't figure out the impersonating pump thing ............. :?

NB: For anyone interested, here's a clip of the first recon pump sounding like a bag of spanners in a tumble drier. Hier klicken

And yes, it WAS full of oil! :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

What a pain, but worth it in the end Bob! I still need one for my TZi!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Good result \:D/
They think it's all over, it is now!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Bob
What is Pleiades explanation of this? I don't know anything about them so can't realy comment on their normal service but this is diabolical, 3 pumps with 3 different results! Imagine if you had had to pay labour charges on top.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Bob, sounds like a diesel engine to me? Could you have been mistaken? :wink:
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Defender110 wrote:Bob
What is Pleiades explanation of this? I don't know anything about them so can't realy comment on their normal service but this is diabolical, 3 pumps with 3 different results! Imagine if you had had to pay labour charges on top.
Hi Kev,

The first 2 pumps were built by one bloke, while this final pump was built by (I believe) the bloke who owns the business, who promised me that he would personally put another pump together, test it exhaustively and send it out only after he was completely happy with it.

I have to say, the first thing I did when I opened the box was spin the pulley by hand to see if it was rough and graunchy like the first two. Nope! Smooth and silky and with no resistance. Putting it beside the first two also showed up a marked difference in finish quality with no dirt in the green paint finish and with the casing nice and clean.

I suspect there's been a simple quality control issue here - and I'm (relatively) happy to have got a working pump at last. It's perhaps worth mentioning too, that upsetting Pleiades wouldn't be a clever move on my part, when they're one of the few remaining suppliers of parts that we have nowadays ..... :?
toddao wrote:Bob, sounds like a diesel engine to me? Could you have been mistaken? :wink:
Why thank you kind sir! :shock: I think I'll just go and slit my wrists now, or drink hemlock, or eat worms or something ........... :cry: :cry: :lol:

(I love you too Todd! :P :P :P )
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

toddao wrote:Bob, sounds like a diesel engine to me? Could you have been mistaken? :wink:
You must have good hearing then Todd, if that was a diesel at that close range it would be deafening! :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Pardon???????? :D
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Bob, you want to get yourself down the local comedy club and do a turn - you've got no idea where it might lead! A new career awaits :rofl: letsbefriends ~wine~
( thanks Mat for the new Emoticons, it's improved my life considerably)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Actually it was just an excuse to get a wino emoticon for those of us that don't drink beer! ~wine~

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad