Slipping Clutch

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Slipping Clutch

Post by Tim Leech »

Picked up a tidy low miles 16TRS today, its taxed and MOTed but hasnt moved for 5 months, on the way home I noticed the clutch getting sticky, the pedal itself seemed alot nearer the floor that usual and as result the clutch would slip if I accelerate hard in the lower gears.

Do you think a new cable would be a good idea first, as they are cheap and quite easy to fit, the clutch itself doesnt seem to drag and is quite light.

Thanks
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Can't you adjust the clutch the same way as a n/a diesel? or is the petrol adjustment in a different place? Don't ask me how to do this as i've never done it. I think there are a couple of levers & a spring with a screw on disc, somehow you've got to shift something on it to make an adjustment. TBH it would be handy if someone could describe how you go about this as mine could do with adjusting.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

if the pedal is nearer the floor, I think you're looking at adjustment or mechanism problem rather than new clutch.

Maybe the clutch arm thingumy is seizing up. :?
They think it's all over, it is now!
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

An inner cable lube at each end would be the first recommendation as it’s been standing for some time. Also, check and lube the linkage and lever arm on the gearbox to ensure the arm is returning fully.

Centre plate could be dragging on the gearbox input shaft, usually this is noticed by a heavy and jerking foot pedal.

Regards
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Since it had been parked up for 5 months my thoughts would be the clutch plate/flywheel may just be a bit rusty and the mech a little seized from a winter in storage.

Clutch pedal adjustment is certainly on the cards by the description and probably another one once the clutch has freed itself up with some running.

How to describe how to adjust the clutch via the internet? Well I have done it but describing it would be easier to get the haynes manual out.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Okidokey, I will get some WD40 round the mechanism and see how it does, the pedal isnt heavy though. If that doesnt help I will get a new cable and have a look at the BOL.
thorter

Post by thorter »

Could be rust in the lower plastic bush of clutch release shaft in the gearbox. I once found this on a BX at only 30k miles from new having removed the gearbox to replace the perfectly good clutch, which had slipped sometimes and was OK at other times.

You may be able to see enough of the shaft through the various openings in the bell housing to apply plusgas. If it frees it, do it again with some oil.

Fred
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Lubed it all over, adjusted the clutch and no more slip, going to fit a cable anyway as you can feel its sticking a bit. Thanks for the help.