Advice on Ignition Switch change

BX Tech talk
Simon B
BXpert

Advice on Ignition Switch change

Post by Simon B »

After all the advice given on ignition switch lubrication, I have started to change the ignition switch on my '91 8V Gti today.

My main concern is that the new replacement Valeo switch has fewer wires than the existing. There are 2 main connectors. The white connector has 4 wires plus the single, but the black connector only has 2 when my car has 4, is this enough/correct? It is what the picture on the AEP site shows.

Secondly, I have exposed most of the areas successfully, but still struggling to get adequate access to the connectors. Can you get better access to the connectors, can you pull the centre console fairing back, it seems to be limited by gear lever, and radio?
Have
1971 Dyane - This IS the ONE :D
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Xantia, BX19 GTI, Dyane, BX14RE, AX, 2 x Visa 652, Dyane
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

After more searching, I think I have been able to answer the question. Found old thread

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1744

Which had same concerns, so I am carrying on, but how to get my hands in there??
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

Job done!. Panic over, put it down to newbie nerves.
Even changed the glove box barrel without the aid of a safety net.

Just got doors and filler cap to do when the next time slot is available. What are they like to do?
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Simon B wrote:Job done!. Panic over, put it down to newbie nerves.

Just got doors and filler cap to do when the next time slot is available. What are they like to do?
The doors are easy but very fiddly, obviously you have to take the door panels off, you will probably end up skinning your knuckles too. make sure when you refit the new locks the U shaped clip the attaches to the back of the barrel inside the door is bent enough to hold it tight or it can drop off and the lock can fall out again!.

Its a nice day today though so good luck.

Never done a fuel flap but I imagine its fairly easy, take the flap off the car first.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Roverman wrote:
Simon B wrote:Job done!. Panic over, put it down to newbie nerves.

The doors are easy but very fiddly, obviously you have to take the door panels off, you will probably end up skinning your knuckles too. make sure when you refit the new locks the U shaped clip the attaches to the back of the barrel inside the door is bent enough to hold it tight or it can drop off and the lock can fall out again!.

Its a nice day today though so good luck.

Never done a fuel flap but I imagine its fairly easy, take the flap off the car first.
Been there done that and the most awkward ones to replace are the door ones.

The Fuel Cap is a piece of cake as easy as the glovebox.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

yep, just be careful when knocking the little retaining pin through on the filler cap, it has a tendancy to bigger off at a rate of knots!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

That's if the retaining pin isn't rusted solid as is sometimes the case!
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

Jayboy wrote:That's if the retaining pin isn't rusted solid as is sometimes the case!
Crikey, I'm quite looking forward to the fuel flap now, sounds quite a challenge. But seriously, I think the advice to do it OFF the car was sound. From what you have all said I can see now imagine that pin jumping straight into the fuel tank. :x
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

Doors and filler cap done :D, ignition and glove box done, before :D , but I still have a barrel left in the Valeo kit :? .

I can't find anywhere useful to put it! I am I right in thinking this would be for a non-electric boot?
Have
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Could it be for the well-known, Heuliez-built, double-barrelled variants Simon? :lol:
GeZ

Post by GeZ »

Simon B wrote:Doors and filler cap done :D, ignition and glove box done, before :D , but I still have a barrel left in the Valeo kit :? .

I can't find anywhere useful to put it! I am I right in thinking this would be for a non-electric boot?
It might be for series I BX with a lock on the boot! :D