Broken battery clamp on my BX :-(

BX Tech talk
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Broken battery clamp on my BX :-(

Post by Daniel B »

Hello gents,

went to start the BX today, and saw the alarm light was out, popped the bonnet, to remove the battery clamps (that go onto the positive and negative terminals) and one of them (I forget which but the one nearer the front) has snapped, as in the actual ring that goes around the clamp, and so now there is no way to tighten it up

It will be up for an MOT next month, which could be a bit of a pain, as the Tax is also up at the end of April, so if I have no MOT, I will need to SORN it.

Presumably this is something a proper garage with the right tools could remedy, but I'm just not sure how I am going to get it there.

I'm not seeing an easy way to start it, and even if I do start it, I remember trying to drive it before once the alternator belt had broken and the battery was completely discharged - it was quite the juggling act to keep the car from stalling whilst waiting at traffic lights etc etc

Any advice chaps??

Cheers

Dan
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You should be able to buy one from any motorist shop like Halfrauds. You'll have to cut the cables off the old one, the new one will have screws to tighten on to the cables. :)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Mine did the same on my TGD about 3 years ago, to get the car going I just tapped it down the battery post a bit more and althought split right through it gripped the post ok. Although I only intended this as a temporary measure to get me home it has remained like this since & starts on the button every time. Every time I intend to fix it I end up tinkering with something else and don't end up doing it.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

Thankyou gents,

just managed to bag a couple from my local motorfactors :D

Dan