MOT advisory items

BX Tech talk
macplaxton
BXpert

MOT advisory items

Post by macplaxton »

Following yesterday's MOT pass for LMY, I can further report what the advisory items were and verbal comments:
"Yes, 5 advisories*. Only 1 surprise, well two in fact! I was expecting one I didn’t get!!

1) Both front tyres nearing legal limit, I knew they were.
2) Oil leak – I think this is just the remains of our recent chassis corrosion protection efforts with the rocker cover!
3) A grease seepage from a drive shaft boot, but the boot is not torn, so no fail.
4) A weak earth situation with the back lights on one side, they all work fine, but when you have more than one bulb lit at the same time they dim.

What they didn’t comment on was the handbrake cable being rubbed on by the front tyre on lock, perhaps they will get that one next time.

5) They were verbally critical of the stiffness of the suspension, it is getting hard, but not even an advisory unless it seizes completely. I need to decide if I want to fit recon spheres or try having the ones on the car re-gassed, my man has the gear to do that, but the cost is only a fiver a sphere less than re-con ones, not sure what to do. Also not sure, given that – the snow forecast for this week will soon pass – the worst of the winter is behind us, I guess with low weekly mileage I can wait a couple of months before spending money.

Ideally I would like the discs and pads inspected, but the brakes work fine, and the MOT would have highlighted any problems with the front ones.

The coolant level had dropped a bit over the last couple of weeks, not enough to put the light on, and it only took a mug full to rectify – I used antifreeze, there was a drop left in one of those litre bottles we got in Rutherglen."
*I think actually means of 4 official and 1 verbal.

I'm not too concerned about the first 3 points, but would be grateful as to opinions on points 4 & 5 (bearing in mind in that the spheres haven't known to have been changed in the last 5 years).

Cheers
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Stick some new ones on Mac from GSF www.gsfcarparts.com (dont forget your BXC discount) for what they cost its not worth messing about with regassed ones imo, just check the date stamp on the sphere itself.

The rear lamps are an easy fix, just unclip the lamps from inside the boot and clean all the connectors, remove the earth 10mm bolt I think and clean that up too. Whilst your at it you may want to give the bulbs a bit of a wipe over as they can get dirty.

Overall a great result!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

You say your not concerned about this? I would be.

4) A weak earth situation with the back lights on one side
that would be the main earth strap on the nearside (left)? Two options one is to use a wire brush and clean the contacts or second is replace it either with one from the wreakers or one made up from an auto spark.
5) They were verbally critical of the stiffness of the suspension, it is getting hard, but not even an advisory unless it seizes completely. I need to decide if I want to fit recon spheres or try having the ones on the car re-gassed, my man has the gear to do that, but the cost is only a fiver a sphere less than re-con ones, not sure what to do. Also not sure, given that – the snow forecast for this week will soon pass – the worst of the winter is behind us, I guess with low weekly mileage I can wait a couple of months before spending money.
Lets put it this way as they get harder the more difficult it will be to control your car on bumps and with the crappy tyres you have your car is a risk to you and others. Even though it has a piece of paper that passed at the time 12 months even a couple of weeks is a long time.

Regassing is possible on spheres that are not to far gone (under pressure), you may need replacements anyways BUT if you can save twenty squid that goes towards your other repairs and once regassed it is a whole lot easier to have them done later. MIne have valves attached now makes it easier.

btw, How many points and fine is a tyre worth nowdays from the boys in blue?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

kiwi wrote:
I read that in a slightly different way, in that he's not concerned about how best to solve that particular advisory. As I understand, it's not Mac's car so its down to the owner when he gets his tyres changed...

Re the spheres - I think the deciding factor for me would be whether they are OE spheres currently fitted (in which case I'd be tempted to regas) or pattern (in which case I'd replace). I believe the OE spheres have a double diaphragm and give a better ride.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

mat_fenwick wrote:
kiwi wrote:
I read that in a slightly different way, in that he's not concerned about how best to solve that particular advisory. As I understand, it's not Mac's car so its down to the owner when he gets his tyres changed...
Got it in one Mat! - not my car guv. Besides, some MOT testers like to put down anything less that 3mm as an advisory. Gives the tester something to write and less hassle from the Man from the Ministry for not writing anything. ;) The other thing is that it's a flexible friend exercise to buy tyres so can be done now, but cold hard cash probably for the garage work.

Labour wasn't discussed, but potential for the re-gassing was - obviously depending on condition of unit to be re-gassed. 19 quid for a re-gas or 24 for a re-manufactured unit.

Thanks for the opinions so far, I will have a search through previous posts and see what's involved going down either road and find out what spheres are actually fitted to the car at present.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

eh dont jump on me for not overlooking the 4 palm sized pieces of rubber that you need to keep the car attached to the road.

Out of curiosity and to make it clearer how many MMs did the MOT guy say was left?
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the AMTEC spheres GSF sell are brand new not re/con's,

and a leaking CV boot should be a fail, it may have cable ties holding it on which just swapping for ligarex,

the only thing i would add is to tighten up the jaws of the plug conecters at the rear lamp units, by gently bendding each of them inwards and towards ech other

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

I had a similar problem with earthing points, this is what I did to resolve it.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

citronut wrote:and a leaking CV boot should be a fail, it may have cable ties holding it on which just swapping for ligarex
Bit of a grey area that. If it is not torn or flapping around or spraying grease on the brake mech then why would it be a failure?

This is one thing on the wofs over here that perplexs me is a CV boot can be split but as long as the grease is not on the brake mechanism it will pass with an advisory.

Sounds like it passed because a quick wipe with a rag would remove the excess grease. Not because the CV boot is damaged
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

It's okay kiwi, I'm not going to sit on you either. :lol:
kiwi wrote:Out of curiosity and to make it clearer how many MMs did the MOT guy say was left?
Don't know. Will ask. If I get an answer, bear in mind the infomation will be 3rd hand by then.
Brian wrote:I had a similar problem with earthing points, this is what I did to resolve it. http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=
Cheers for the info and link Brian.
kiwi wrote:
citronut wrote:and a leaking CV boot should be a fail, it may have cable ties holding it on which just swapping for ligarex
Bit of a grey area that. If it is not torn or flapping around or spraying grease on the brake mech then why would it be a failure?
Malcolm, I agree that it's something that should be looked at.

I assume that it has not failed because "grease seepage" or "leaking" is not in itself a "reason for rejection" (Link to Section 2.5C) Also if you compare RfR 1a to that of 1d or 1e, it's clear that a different standard is applied to an inner boot and can be in a poorer state than an outer one. So without seeing the car or the paperwork to see (or asking if he knows) if this boot is inner or an outer one, I'm keeping an open mind on it.

[I've bought a (RWD) car with driveshaft boots falling apart which looked like they were shot before the previous MOT on it. However, I assume in that case that they hadn't been done because they hadn't been pulled up at MOT time with rear driveshaft boots not being a testable item. - Note: Section 2.5C only applies to front driveshafts on FWD and 4WD cars]
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the reason outter CV gaitors fail is they can affect the steering if the CV joint breaks up, inners are not a faliure even if they are split open,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

A wee update:

12/4 spheres fitted with valves and re-gassed.
13/4 two new Michelin front tyres fitted.
14/4 a piece of earth wire was spliced into the loom ribbon to sort out the problem with the one of the rear light clusters.

I'm pleased to report that having seen the car briefly on Monday evening, it's looking good and very clean inside. 8)