16v refusing to start...

BX Tech talk
Matt H
1K Away

16v refusing to start...

Post by Matt H »

I'm a bit stuck at the minute, my 16v has decided that it doesn't want to fire up any more.

Luckily it was outside my local mechanic's garage, and after a bit of an investigation, we found that there is no spark.

New coil installed, still no change... Crank sensor checked, and it is working fine...

What could be causing this? an ECU problem perhaps?

Any help would be great because as of Friday, it will be my only car!

Regards,
Matthew
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

No problem. Just get Keith to add you to the SD1's insurance policy!

First thing's first - it hasn't done something daft like run out of petrol? Not that I've ever done that...
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Matt, a few checks that may help. Has it just refused to start after running well?

Check to see if you’ve got power to the main relay on the o/s inner wheel arch.
Then remove the ignition module multi-pin plug, clean both plug and socket and check the female connectors, close up any connectors that appear to be slightly wider.

All the wire connections on the ignition circuit on the multi-pin blocks can be very brittle with age, check the connections under the rubber boots.
Usually with a fail to start I would suspect an electrical connection problem. Any recent work carried out?

Remove the distributor cap and check the cap central pin. Sometimes they wear and jam.
Have you definitely got fuel to the injectors?
I would normally suspect the CAS. There’s a connection block for the CAS under the battery tray, might be worth a look.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards