Sudden big LHM leaks

BX Tech talk
anorthfield
Confirmed BX'er

Sudden big LHM leaks

Post by anorthfield »

I have a BX19 Diesel. One of 3 which we have had since new. Suddenly, LHM is leaking badly from the FDV, hydraulic pump, and power steering ram. Like most, the FDV has always weeped a bit. The ram hasn't noticeably leaked before, and the pump was fitted secondhand from another of my cars about 1500 miles ago, and hasn't leaked before. Suddenly all three items are leaking badly, jointly dumping a litre of LHM in 5 miles. Could I have over-pressure somewhere? Or what else could it be? Any thoughts gratefully received.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It just sounds like wear and tear to me. They just all decided to 'go west' at once. It's unlikely that there was too much pressure.
I had three colours of leaks at once - green, black and yellowish ( gearbox). The car just hit a threshold of age and started 'crying' from everywhere - ( not very technical) :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
anorthfield
Confirmed BX'er

Post by anorthfield »

I think it's too coincidental. On Tuesday all is fine, no LHM usage for many months, and on Wednesday three huge leaks all at once. Anyone any other thoughts?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Its a BX anything that can go wrong normally does at the same time.

Sounds like you just found out from fitting the secondhand pump you probably upset the balance of things and exposed the other weakness that decided now was the time to upset you.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

FDV and ram leaks may indicate a bust seal in the FDV - is the steering erratic or different from before?
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
anorthfield
Confirmed BX'er

Post by anorthfield »

The power steering is perfect, better than ever. Brakes are perfect. Suspension comes up as quickly asv my other ones.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The only thing I can suggest is that when you changed the pump you will of course have depressurised the system.
If the car is in regular use there will always be some pressure in the system, to depressurise it and then re pressurise it with a new pump may have caused any weak spots to come to light :?
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

anorthfield wrote:The power steering is perfect, better than ever. Brakes are perfect. Suspension comes up as quickly asv my other ones.
Sounds like a new pump is pushing too much pressure past some weak points then.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Oscar wrote:
anorthfield wrote:The power steering is perfect, better than ever. Brakes are perfect. Suspension comes up as quickly asv my other ones.
Would the Pressure Regulator Valve (PRV) not sort this out? Unless it was faulty and allowing too much pressure past?
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Vanny wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Would the Pressure Regulator Valve (PRV) not sort this out? Unless it was faulty and allowing too much pressure past?
Reseat the ball bearing?