Where to Stick It

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Where to Stick It

Post by Tim Leech »

No im not being rude, Mr Chidlow and myself are off to Paris in two weeks to the Citroen Conservatoire in the GT, ive got my hi vis vest, triangle, spare bulbs, GB sticker and stuck the original number plates back on. I'm not prepared to fork out £6 for headlamp converters when I can make them out of insulating tape.

Question is where do they go, is it the two triangular (well a triangle laying on its side) shaped wotits on the bottom of the lens?.

Ta!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Hope this may help?
http://www.aer-net.co.uk/sdc/headlamp-conversion.htm

Enjoy your trip. Shame about the snow forcast for that time. :D

Regards
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Sounds like a good trip Tim - is that through the CCC? We'll be awaiting the report and photos.
Make sure you add a hi-vis vest to that list as the French Police were having a fine old time last summer spot checking and fining for this absurdity and it can all be avoided for €2 or whatever those things cost.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks Chaps, yep there will be plenty of pics etc, can anyone point to where to stick the converters ona BX though?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

:evil:

Internet been a bit troublesome this morning was going to post this earlier as an example but guess you all beat me to it now :lol:

Funny enough a scanned print of our trip to the South west of France and as I checked my records the photo was taken this day 19th April 2002.
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Haven’t got a BX headlight to hand, but as a guide.

You need to block the dipped left facing beams which normally illuminate the road signs in the UK, as this section would blind oncoming vehicles when driving on the right.

Depending on the type of lenses fitted and how the light is defused on dip. Park the car about 3-4 feet away from a wall and use a piece of card to mask the upward left facing light. Usually a triangle shape, with a horizontal line around the bulb centre, then angled towards a corner, fill in any space between the two lines.
Adjust the tape to give the best legal illumination on dip and main beam.

Regards
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you just have to eliminate/block out the kick up so the beam patern is completly flat across the top

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

So the photo was not in the slightest bit helpful?

:?:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ahh thats where they go, thanks chaps!

That BX is a derby car with an "AL" reg no so my neck of the wood.

DTR Turbo?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Don't bother Tim.
They are completely unnecessary. No gendarme ever checks this, how could they anyway.
Have you ever seen a foreign car in the UK that has fitted them.................Nobody does, and you need all the light you can get from a BX headlight.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Jaba wrote:Have you ever seen a foreign car in the UK that has fitted them.................Nobody does, and you need all the light you can get from a BX headlight.
Forget BX light levels, my last trip to the continent was in a 1500mile Transit Torneo, light was dismal with the beam correctors and deffinately more dangerous with than without!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Vanny wrote:
Jaba wrote:Have you ever seen a foreign car in the UK that has fitted them.................Nobody does, and you need all the light you can get from a BX headlight.
Forget BX light levels, my last trip to the continent was in a 1500mile Transit Torneo, light was dismal with the beam correctors and deffinately more dangerous with than without!
Now you said that you reminded me how much night driving we avoided (mainly not to get lost and to enjoy the scenery :wink: )

A second option available to you would be to get the lights adjusted for the trip. Sounds crazy but would imagine the long evenings would be an advantage for you and how much night driving are you planning?
Simon B
BXpert

Post by Simon B »

Jaba wrote:Don't bother Tim.
They are completely unnecessary. No gendarme ever checks this, how could they anyway.
Have you ever seen a foreign car in the UK that has fitted them.................Nobody does, and you need all the light you can get from a BX headlight.
Um... I have the reverse philosophy. Stick some black tape on (even if ineffectual) looks like you have tried, and they will pick on someone else. Its part of my therapy, waiting at the ferry terminal, when it looks like we are definitely going!

We were driving in the South of France in a hire car (Citroen of course) for a week last summer, and on three occasions had to go through "road blocks" with police just standing in the road, making you slow down, and seeming to be looking for reasons to be annoying.

We had no problems, but best not to bait them ?

(My Dyane has little sliders to swing the bulb, it was simpler in the olden days :D )
Have
1971 Dyane - This IS the ONE :D
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Xantia, BX19 GTI, Dyane, BX14RE, AX, 2 x Visa 652, Dyane
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks guys, Ive never travelled abroad and I am a wee bit nervous, I doubt we will be using the car in the evening but wil make an effort and stick the converters on to "show willing".

Bon Voyage!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

That's probably your best bet, have them on during the daytime & at night take them off :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.