Where to Stick It

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

If you looked at my photo my converters were just a couple of pieces of Black insulation tape for effect 8)

Not going to make the slightest bit of differance if you are not driving at night but as has been said you wont be attracting attention either. Well you will you got UK plates on for a start and a steering wheel on the opposite side of course thats going to attract more attention than if you have headlight converters :lol:
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

kiwi wrote:If you looked at my photo my converters were just a couple of pieces of Black insulation tape for effect 8)
Exactly what I ended up doing when going to France. I was so organised, I pulled into the first petrol station off the boat and got some insulation tape, it was 1 inch wide, so quite easy to blank-off the required area.

My other car just needs the bulbs rotating slightly. Pull bulb, move plastic collar to hold the bulb in the opposite position, refit bulb - sorted.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Exactly what I temd to do - it's also visible proof that the effort has been made. I find if you use black fablon it stays on better.

Having said that I do have a set of those 'prism' plastic deflectors too, but I'll keep them for the XM (lol - not that it needs them! :roll: )
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I stayed in France for ages without any adjustment (apart from two days before I left the handbrake did a funny turn and allowed my car to roll down the road into a neighbours Fiesta. That adjusted the n/s headlamp perfectly :wink: )

I had bought a kit but it stopped the lights functioning properly so I binned it.

I intend sourcing a set of French headlights next time - surely the best method.

Steve

Ps: Roundabouts and one-way systems were the most confusing for me - a bit like trying to rub your belly and pat your head at the same time.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Roverman wrote:Thanks guys, Ive never travelled abroad and I am a wee bit nervous, I doubt we will be using the car in the evening but wil make an effort and stick the converters on to "show willing".

Bon Voyage!
If you've not driven in France before your headlights are the least of your worries... :wink:
Seriously - I live in France, have a RHD (French reg) TD estate with French headlights and have never been flashed for blinding oncoming drivers when back in UK (I have yellow bulbs though so maybe that's also something to do with it). It simply doesn't make much difference with BX lights. Anyway, half the cars on the road here blind each other most of the time - French MoT equivalent is so lax that even if your headlights are pointing all over the place you'll just get the equivalent of an advice point on the form (my H van passed its test this morning despite a list as long as your arm of 'advice points' that would have earned an imediate fail in UK - curiously it's always a different list every time even though I've never fixed any of the things from last time...).

No, the main thing you need to get your head round is the Priorité à Droite rule, which means that unless there's a painted line on the road and a stop sign to tell them not to, then traffic joining your road from the right has priority over you. It's mostly in small towns and villages these days, but there are exceptions, and the locals won't just pull out on you, they won't even look to see if anyone's there in the first place. Basically be very, very paranoid about anyone approaching a junction from your right, and assume they will be trying to kill you imminently.
Driving in Paris is something else again, especially on the Périphérique – normal rules of driving (possibly even of physics), simply don't apply and being cautious and sensible is possibly the most dangerous approach because everyone else will assume that you're as mental as they are...
Enjoy! :D
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

KevR wrote:If you've not driven in France before your headlights are the least of your worries... :wink:
That statement can be used anywhere in the world.

Be aware, Adapt to survive!!! Thats all you need to know and if your a paranoid UK driver then you will be a paranoid French or whatever nation your going to drive in. No matter how unfamilier the roads are, Rules are and where the steering whell is you got to adapt to survive.
KevR
1K Away

Post by KevR »

kiwi wrote:
KevR wrote:If you've not driven in France before your headlights are the least of your worries... :wink:
if your a paranoid UK driver then you will be a paranoid French or whatever nation your going to drive in. .
Ah, but most people aren't paranoid. :D And few of them even know about the Priorité a Droite rule as it runs so far contra to UK experience. So they come over here, assuming driving on the right is all they have to worry about, and end up with smashed cars. The local paper's full of them every summer. Rarely serious accidents (although a brit leaving a campsite down the road last year and forgetting to keep right until he hit someone head on wasn't pretty), but would hate to see a nice BX crumpled up unnecessarily :cry:
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

KevR wrote:
kiwi wrote:
if your a paranoid UK driver then you will be a paranoid French or whatever nation your going to drive in. .
Ah, but most people aren't paranoid. :D And few of them even know about the Priorité a Droite rule as it runs so far contra to UK experience. So they come over here, assuming driving on the right is all they have to worry about, and end up with smashed cars. The local paper's full of them every summer. Rarely serious accidents (although a brit leaving a campsite down the road last year and forgetting to keep right until he hit someone head on wasn't pretty), but would hate to see a nice BX crumpled up unnecessarily :cry:
Maybe you missed my point or maybe I just worded it wrongly...either way if your not used to driving somewhere and that includes a foreign territory be it France anywhere in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and even New Zealand you still have to Adapt to Survive!

New Zealand has this dumb arsed rule of giving way to the right when your turning left and the approaching car is indicating to turn right. You have to give way to them which is precisely the opposite in any sensible part of the world!
There is discussion (has been last few years) to revert it back in line with the real world. Guess what the foreigners get the blame for the junction accidents! Looking forward to the rule being amended as then the blame will go back on to the unadaptable Kiwi cornflake box licence holders.
Although saying that i see a lot of european visitors (clearly marked in rental cars) that tend to lets say drive on the wrong side of the road :wink:

Like I said ADAPT to SURVIVE is the key rule of the road when driving overseas.
KevR
1K Away

Post by KevR »

kiwi wrote:
Like I said ADAPT to SURVIVE is the key rule of the road when driving overseas.
Oh, I absolutely agree. I was just pointing out that too many people don't make that mental leap in the first place!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Roverman wrote:Thanks guys, Ive never travelled abroad and I am a wee bit nervous, I doubt we will be using the car in the evening but wil make an effort and stick the converters on to "show willing".

Bon Voyage!
I've just returned from my first European driving experience (Malta and back..) and because of the tight pattern from the XM's headlights I never bothered with any sticky things - and it's got a HID conversion! There were no flashes from anyone coming the other way, and no problems from the gendarmerie either.

Similarly, the warning triangle and hi-vis vests stayed unopened and unchecked in the boot. Still, it's best to have this stuff (though hopefully you'll not need it) and I agree that at least some tape will show you've tried, though if I had been stopped, I would have asserted that I'd had the headlights adjusted for continental driving before I left Blighty - the tightness of the XM beams makes it quite believable...

Bon chance!
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

rayfenwick wrote:Similarly, the warning triangle and hi-vis vests stayed unopened and unchecked in the boot.
Theres the quirky thing unless the law states you will carry this and this how many people actually do?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Pedantic maybe, but Hi-vis tabards/jackets (one per occupant) need to be IN the car passenger compartment and not in the boot. TIP: Keep one on your parcel shelf in view of any Gendarmes etc.

For the small outlay and almost total lack of hassle, why not put a little patch of tape on your headlights, carry spare bulbs, hi-vis stuff and triangle? Carry a first aid kit too - as well as an extinguisher. Make sure you have a regulation GB sticker on the back. Carry your documents - including insurance. Don't even think about having a radar detector (they are hot on that) and make sure you carry a phrase book.

Why gamble on here say that no-one ever bothers and no-one gets pulled. You will one day. I have on several occasions - and they do want to see the regulation stuff. And they love to paw over your documents making you feel uncomfortable.

(God, I sound pompous! :lol: Not intended I assure you all!)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If in France, follow the rules to the letter, they don't take any shit from anyone, its a money making exercise, there are plenty of horror stories of huge fines for not having the right bits & bobs that they demand you travel with, get it all, it'll cost a lot less than any fine you're likely to get if you do get stopped.

Isnt it illegal in france to also have a radar detector? if it is then one chap got pulled & fined with something akin to having to take out another mortgage to pay it, purely for having it in his car, he wasn't even using it, i'm sure it was in france??? if not then some other european place of grot.....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

MULLEY wrote:
Isnt it illegal in france to also have a radar detector?
It's likely a definite fine if it's nestling on top of the dashboard! :shock:

However it should be possible to integrate it into the car, the unit hidden behind the engine bay grill (silenced) with it's alert lights wired into any of the spare positions in the BX instrument cluster for your discreet information. Presumably not beyond the expertise of many of our members.

Not got one myself but if you're motivated to have one this could be the way to go - unless you know different. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Make sure you have a regulation GB sticker on the back.
Not required if you have a Euro stars / GB blue strip type number plate.

Read the regs (and know them inside-out) for where you're going and stick by them. That way you either won't get pulled or if you do you can argue the toss if the enforcement officer is trying it on.
Last edited by macplaxton on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.