1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I saw something recent on telly where a senior french policeman was being quizzed about the hardline that they appear to be giving british motoritis. He said that they deal with everyone the same way & that the french police can enforce whatever punishment they wish according to the rule break. He was then asked how could anyone trust that they'll get treated fairly by the police, he confirmed that they are all fair & that they don't lie regarding endorsements/fines :lol: :lol: Basically, they can do what they like (its down to the individual officers discretion) & fine you on any technicallity, such as not having a full set of spare bulbs, so its no use having a set of bulbs if one is missing, thats a breach & therefore a fine.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

All these horror stories of being picked on...wow you guys must have done something wrong to be victimised or just paranoid over what you have seen for made for TV incidents.

Driving in France is just like driving anywhere else as long as you brush up on the road rules and follow those travel advisory tips given by the AA, RAC, Travel agents etc.

Like anywhere you attract attention you will get it!

Ok so driving around France with UK numberplates is a dead give away but ironic as it seems driving a French made motor tends to make you blend in. Well thats what I found? Actually I also found the French more open towards us when they realised we were driving in a BX.

Back to that equipment carried!

As a matter of course back in the UK I had a Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, Spare bulb set and warning Triangle in my boot as well as Reflective Jacket. Of those used Fire Extinguisher to aid another motorist and got picked on by the local constabulary for impersonating a Traffic Cop :lol:

Over here in NZ nothing changes same set up except I also carry a bag full of goodies for the Fire Service and set snow chains.

Am I required to carry theses extras? No but I do for piece of mind.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Pedantic maybe, but Hi-vis tabards/jackets (one per occupant) need to be IN the car passenger compartment and not in the boot. TIP: Keep one on your parcel shelf in view of any Gendarmes etc.
I'd be interested to know where you got the info that the hi-vis has to be in the passenger compartment. I am certainly not disputing it, but all I have been able to find on the Foreign Office and AA sites etc is that it must be "inside the vehicle" - can you point me to it?
Philip Chidlow wrote:For the small outlay and almost total lack of hassle, why not put a little patch of tape on your headlights, carry spare bulbs, hi-vis stuff and triangle? Carry a first aid kit too - as well as an extinguisher.
I did the spare bulb, hi-vis and triangle thing - AND a first aid kit, though frankly I don't disagree with any of them, and would be intrigued by any arguments against making it compulsory here...

I have an extinguisher on my "really should do that" list, as I've seen too many beautiful cars destroyed by what would have been minimal fires if an extinguisher had been onboard...

Philip Chidlow wrote:Make sure you have a regulation GB sticker on the back. Carry your documents - including insurance. Don't even think about having a radar detector (they are hot on that) and make sure you carry a phrase book.

Why gamble on here say that no-one ever bothers and no-one gets pulled. You will one day. I have on several occasions - and they do want to see the regulation stuff. And they love to paw over your documents making you feel uncomfortable.

(God, I sound pompous! :lol: Not intended I assure you all!)
I'd say all that is sound advice Phil, and much better than "I told you so" would be if we don't listen :shock:
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

kiwi wrote:
rayfenwick wrote:Similarly, the warning triangle and hi-vis vests stayed unopened and unchecked in the boot.
Theres the quirky thing unless the law states you will carry this and this how many people actually do?
You're right, but in my defence I've not long owned the car, andI'll certainly be leaving them in there from now on for driving both home and abroad.
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would interpret "inside the vehicle" as meaning inside the passenger compartment? No use in the boot if you can't get it open after a bump.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

rayfenwick wrote:I'd be interested to know where you got the info that the hi-vis has to be in the passenger compartment.
Interesting when you look into it: You'd think there'd be a definitive answer wouldn't you lol! As if!

Some of it is received wisdom of course...
Pierre, my mate in Agen has assured me you must be able to get to the vest(s) at all times.

This sort of thing is written on various sites:
You must have a florescent jacket or vest in the car, not the boot, for the driver as an absolute minimum. (If you get out of the car to fetch it out the boot then you are breaking the law at that point). So one is the minimum legal requirement, though if 4 of you are stood on the hard shoulder with only one vest between you, it's possible the police will not be too happy.

And the UK Foreign Office says: It is compulsory to carry a warning triangle and reflective jacket. The reflective jacket must be stored inside the vehicle itself. Non-compliance is a fineable offence.

I must admit I didn't think I needed a vest for EVERYONE in the car, until I was told this by a Brit living in France (who I collected an XM from)... Now I'm not so sure: It would seem the French authorities recommend at least two vests are carried.

Brittany-Ferries say:
Motoring law in an increasing number of European Countries now requires all vehicles to carry a reflective vest for drivers AND passengers, for use in the event of breakdowns or emergencies. Reflective vests for drivers are compulsory in Spain & France.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Oh and I'd definitely carry a torch! I have an LED headlight type so if I need both hands free to tie something like an exhaust up or change a wheel in the pitch dark, I can at least see what I'm doing. :lol:

Then we get onto the issue of a suitable toolkit etc... You should've seen what the "Green Hornet" was loaded up with on the BXagon Challenge!!!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Way2go wrote:
MULLEY wrote:
Isnt it illegal in france to also have a radar detector?
It's likely a definite fine if it's nestling on top of the dashboard! :shock:

However it should be possible to integrate it into the car, the unit hidden behind the engine bay grill (silenced) with it's alert lights wired into any of the spare positions in the BX instrument cluster for your discreet information. Presumably not beyond the expertise of many of our members.

Not got one myself but if you're motivated to have one this could be the way to go - unless you know different. :wink:
Sounds like a possibility for a project :)
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Defender110 wrote:I would interpret "inside the vehicle" as meaning inside the passenger compartment? No use in the boot if you can't get it open after a bump.
Fair point in a saloon with a boot, but in a hatchback with foldable rear seats? Or an estate (break) or a MPV?
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Oh and I'd definitely carry a torch! I have an LED headlight type so if I need both hands free to tie something like an exhaust up or change a wheel in the pitch dark, I can at least see what I'm doing. :lol:

Then we get onto the issue of a suitable toolkit etc... You should've seen what the "Green Hornet" was loaded up with on the BXagon Challenge!!!
That's another one on the list... as is retrofitting a S1 engine compartment light to my S2 XM... damn fine idea IMHO.
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Diversifying slightly on fire extinguishers.

If you carry a dry powder unit within the car. Invert the container several times, say ounce a month and place your ear to the side, should sound like running sand.

The powder content is inclined to compact down from vehicle vibrations and sometimes give a very poor output. So don’t bang the lever when it fails to work, bounce it on the ground. :x

In the event of any fire with powder, aim it slightly above the base of the flames.
Avoids spreading the fire with any loose hot material.

With the smaller extinguishers, output time is very limited. As an approx guide - continuous and fully open, about 10-15 seconds per kilo.
But, any extinguisher is far better than no extinguisher. :D

Regards
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I must admit I didn't think I needed a vest for EVERYONE in the car, until I was told this by a Brit living in France (who I collected an XM from)... Now I'm not so sure: It would seem the French authorities recommend at least two vests are carried.
What if there's two of you and you pick up a hitchhiker?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

mat_fenwick wrote: What if there's two of you and you pick up a hitchhiker?
Simples - only pick up hitchhikers in day-glo :D
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

prm wrote:Diversifying slightly on fire extinguishers.

any extinguisher is far better than no extinguisher. :D
(abridged)

Not having a Fire Extinguisher is better than Not knowing how to use one. And safer too! Nothing more dangerous than a hero armed with a tool they do not know how to use.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

rayfenwick wrote:That's another one on the list... as is retrofitting a S1 engine compartment light to my S2 XM... damn fine idea IMHO.
A brief O/T diversion: I didn't know the S1 cars had a light there: If you do do the modification, please make a record of it for the benefit of fellow S2 owners. Like you, I think it's a bloomin' good idea.