19 trs squeeling really loud occasionally

BX Tech talk
DFF53
Confirmed BX'er

19 trs squeeling really loud occasionally

Post by DFF53 »

My bx 19 trs is squeeling really loud occasionally whilst driving . It does it very randomly while driving, its really loud with other motorist looking on when it does. Its not a moist v-belt squeel , maybe a bearing of some sort perhaps. My concern is that it might be the HP Pump, are the hp pumps known to squeel when on its way out? Please heeeeeeelllllppp!
Grenouille Rouge
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I know you say it doesn't sound like V belt but I've known V belts sqeal realy loudly (not BX specific) when the item they are trying to turn momentarily locks up before the item eventually siezes (Alternators , Air compressors etc.) I suppose this could apply to a HP pump? Does the TRS have V belt driven alternator? Try and feel if you've got any unusually hot pulleys just after it has happened, belts usually go very shiny on their drive face's if they have been slipping exssesively.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
DFF53
Confirmed BX'er

Post by DFF53 »

Thanks mate , you maybe right, i twisted the hp pump pulley with the belt still tentioned on it and it squeeled lightly. Does this mean that it is on its way out? and consequently need replacing or will a new vbelt cure it for now.
Grenouille Rouge
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Sounds like the HP Pump belt, fit a new one if I were you.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

or just try adjusting the belt a little tighter, as they need to be very tight, because there is a lot of tourque involved when trying to rotate a presureised hydraulic pump

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

It could be anywhere on the engine, but I would definitely first check all the drive belts, especially the hydraulic pump. The drive belt needs to be bow-string tight and replaced regularly. Any air-con fitted?

One trick you may like to try with a slightly greasy squeaking belt.

Grab your wife’s/girlfriend’s favourite talcum powder and a short length of garden hose. No rude comments please!!!

Place a small amount of powder into the end of the hose, start the engine and gently blow the powder onto the belt adjacent to the pulleys, helps to remove any contamination and belt glaze.
It’s a mod I use on 30HP multi belt drive systems, with irregular belt wear on matched sets.

If it fails cure the noise, at least the engine bay will smell nice. :)

Regards