17 TZD Engine starts fine but peters out after a few seconds

BX Tech talk
andycadabra
BXpert

17 TZD Engine starts fine but peters out after a few seconds

Post by andycadabra »

I have an annoying starting problem - the engine starts immediately, ticks over quite happily for about 5 seconds, then stalls, after which it's really reluctant to restart, but always does eventually.
Once it's running there's no usually more problems with restarting until the next day, though sometimes it happens again when it's been parked and allowed to cool.
I've tried different settings on the injection pump but haven't managed to solve the problem yet.
Does anyone have any ideas?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Two possibilities,

Air in the fuel system, or

Heater plug down. :?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Try pumping the diesel primer until it goes hard before starting. If it then starts fine, the problem is air...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

My Xantia used to do this. Turned out to be the bushes on the throttle shaft through the injection pump being worn and letting air in past the seals. Had that changed and it was a lot better.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

thanks for the helpful replies. I tried priming the pump before starting this morning and it was fine, so I'll try the same tomorrow.
Kev - what was it you changed, the diesel pump, or the bushes in the diesel pump?.How many miles had your Xantia done out of interest?. Was it the same roto diesel injection pump as I have?. I don't know if there's anything I can do to confirm that this is the problem?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If pumping the fuel through manually before starting the engine cures the problem, sounds like you have air getting in the system, as in fuel running back to the tank when left overnight.

Pump the fuel up and watch for any leaks around the injection pump.

I wonder if your car has a fuel heater on the back of the engine :? These are a constant source of air leaks, I'm not sure what year they stopped fitting them. :(
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

andycadabra wrote:
Kev - what was it you changed, the diesel pump, or the bushes in the diesel pump?.How many miles had your Xantia done out of interest?. Was it the same roto diesel injection pump as I have?. I don't know if there's anything I can do to confirm that this is the problem?
Good questions all...
It was under a limited warranty at the time (this was in 1998 or thereabouts) so I didn't do the work myself but they definitely changed the central spindle of the pump - the bit that's directly turned by the end of the throttle cable, if that makes sense. I think (but I may be wrong) that it was a CAV pump, and the play at the spindle was quite noticeable. The Xantia had done about 120,000 miles at the time - it was only four years old but it was an ex company car. It was the least reliable car I've ever had, always something going wrong. I eventually gave up on it when it spat its cambelt on the Paris Perepherique and snapped the camshaft...
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

again, this morning it started flying after a few squeezes of the rugby ball. Looked hard for any leaks in the fuel filter and injection pump while squeezing, but none visible.
Ken -I can't see any evidence of a fuel heater on the back of the engine, and mine is a '92 so would probably have been discontinued by then. I can't find any mention of a fuel heater in the workshop manual either. there are just two 10mm fuel lines that go behind the engine, one supply from the tank, and one return I suppose.
Kev - mine has done 125,000, so that could be a possibility, but there doesn't seem to be noticeable play in the spindle. I wonder if the few seconds it will run before cutting out gives a clue as to where the leak might be?
My camshaft broke, out of the blue, a couple of years back, but didn't even need the cam-belt to break in order to do so..
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Andy, you do seem to be rather unlucky!

Couple of spots to check for air leaks - the primer bulb itself, and the fuel filter housing if it is the one with 4 bolts on top. A smear of vaseline around the seal may help to prove or disprove this. There is also the chance that the steel fuel lines may have a pinhole in them. I had this happen to me but this led to excessive cranking before firing, rather than instant starting then cutting out.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Mat - it might seem that way but I suspect there's a few of us lucky enough to have only a short list of things needing attention. Luckily, the water pump has stopped leaking on its own!.
I tried your suggestion with the gasoline around the fuel filter, but it didn't help. The rubber priming pump can be rotated easily, in a way that doesn't inspire confidence, but were this to be leaking air I would expect fuel to leak out having pumped it?. also, on the basis that fuel is taken from the bottom of the fuel filter , wouldn't the engine have to use all the fuel in the filter bowl before cutting out?.
I suspect the full might lie in the injection pump, as Kev suggested, or connection to it from the fuel filter. The problem is getting worse now anyway. I can only be sure of an easy start less than 3 hours after it was running.
Also I'm getting an inexplicable random increase in tickover to sometimes more than 2000 RPM, then gradually returning to 1000, which doesn't appear to be down to a sticky throttle cable. I don't know if that's connected?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

It is indeed connected, and is entirely due to air in the fuel.

It's possible that the air is getting in before the priming bulb, which means although you can "pump up" the system and get the car to run, air is still getting in.

If the problem is getting worse then the steel fuel lines under the floor seem like a prime candidate to me. There will be a corrosion pinhole getting bigger and bigger.

With the car up on axle stands, have a good thorough look over the steel lines. You'll probably find an area wetted with fuel. This is your leak. Temporary fix is to cut out the affected bit and replace with rubber line. Permanent fix is to replace the steel lines either with new, or with microbore copper pipework from B&Q (which is a lot easier to fit and a darn-sight cheaper!)
this might be a signature
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

andycadabra wrote:I tried your suggestion with the gasoline around the fuel filter, but it didn't help.
Err, wasn't that supposed to be Vaseline? :shock:
mat_fenwick wrote:A smear of vaseline around the seal may help to prove or disprove this.
A typo? It happens... :oops:
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Could cause some 'interesting' problems if you get the two mixed up... :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

My thoughts exactly :)
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Can't you guys recognise a voice recognition typo when you see it? Embarrassing - I'm not a bloody American!. I said vaseline, it wrote gasoline. Must improve my proof-reading...
Anyway problem has now worsened to the extent where its troublesome every start, even after using the priming pump.
I was going to take a look at the fuel lines underneath today, as you suggested, David, but couldn't get it started due to an unconnected problem I last had a year ago. All lights go blank and nothing happens when attempting to turn it over. I've checked the battery connections, but awaiting the breakdown people at the moment. Last time it happened there was some trick to be done with the starter motor, but I can't remember what it was!
I am hoping they might be able to help with the fuel issue.