17 TZD Engine starts fine but peters out after a few seconds

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yes, like type C on your link...the teeth dig into the fuel filter housing to resist removal of the white plunger.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Thanks Mat. Well, I managed to get the star washer off easily in situ, but couldn't get the white plastic thing out at all, and there was little to grab onto. Then I thought of just leaving it in and trying a bit of 'sealastic' non-setting sealant, but having put the sealant in couldn't figure out how to get the star washer back on.
Then luckily found a piece of pipe that fitted in the recess perfectly, and putting a hole through its diameter allowed me to strap it tightly to the fuel filter housing, and everything seems fine now, no more random revving either!.
The fact that the fuel intake to the fuel filter is at the bottom, and the outlet is right at the top seems to be a recipe for disaster should any air find its way into the fuel filter. I would have thought the positions should be reversed, but there's probably some good reason for it!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

andycadabra wrote:I would have thought the positions should be reversed, but there's probably some good reason for it!
Yes, the fact that water will collect in the bottom and should be drained off using the thumbscrew at the front of the filter housing. Water and diesel pumps do not mix very well!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad