Misterious rod on Turbo engine rear side

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

Misterious rod on Turbo engine rear side

Post by TB2 »

So I went to the MOT recheck last week and while I took care of everything they had said the first time, that bastard found yet another thing to nag about. So I'll have to go a third time... The reason was a bit of oil on the back side of the engine. Great. I didn't have time to take care of things but today I crawled under the car to have a look:

There's this rod covered in oil. It seems to me that it just holds that big lump of metal (the one in the top right of the picture - what is it?) to the engine together with a second rod further up. But it seems like oil's coming from around there as further up the engine is clean. How come? I looked in the repair manual but couldn't find any clues. There's another screw just next to where the hydraulic pump is located which also is slightly oily.

This whole MOT thing is costing me so many nerves (and moneys)... It's a 21 years old diesel for gods sake, of course it's oily.... :roll:
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That's the stud which holds on the exhaust manifold. There is a spacer (piece of tube) between the nut and the manifold.
The oil is probably coming from the cam cover gasket, they all tend to leak slightly and is IMO nothing to worry about unless you are leaving oily patches behind you.
The reason the top one isn't showing signs of oil is probably because the lower one may be vertically underneath where the oil will drip from.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mat_fenwick wrote:is IMO nothing to worry about
Unfortunately in some countries (most noticeably Germany, but some others too) an engine oil leak is an MOT fail.

I'd have it thoroughly steam cleaned and then nip back for the re-test before any leak shows!
this might be a signature
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

Thanks guys. I'll just try letting someone steam clean the engine and retry.
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.