Black waist trim paint - what is it?

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Right! That's it. Simoniz tuff paint it is!!!!

(Did you hear about the bloke who dropped his Rolls Royce off at Levi Cohen's bodyshop to have it washed and simonized?

They shampooed the car and then cut two inches off the exhaust pipe!!! :shock: ) :wink:
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

They always were a cut above the others :-)

I've just had a read of the tin and a quick google on painting fibreglass. On the fibreglass front, acrylics seem to be mentioned quite often so there shouldn't be any problems there. The other thing mentioned was the tendency of fibreglass to absorb moisture which will screw up the paint job nicely - and Anglesey isn't the driest place on the planet.

Re Simoniz Tough Black - minimum spray temp 21 degrees C, so you'll have to wait 'till summertime - which I'm reliably informed will be the afternoon of June the 21st this year :-) You never know whether the minimum temp takes into account the cooling that takes place when the propellant in the rattle can expands lowering the temp of the can. Whenever I use a rattle can I always warm it up by filling the kitchen sink with hot water and standing the can in it for 10 minutes or so immediately before use. I always wipe the can completely clear of water before using it because drops of water on the work can really spoil your day.

It says.. primer not normally required but if it is then use Simoniz Acrylic Grey Primer... spray thin even coats at 20 - 30 minute intervals... will be cured after 72 hours... DO NOT OVERCOAT WITH OTHER PAINTS OR LACQUERS (their caps).

Hope that helps - I'm certainly going to try it when I next fettle those bits.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Thanks for all that!!! :wink:

Personally I hate rattle cans - I tend to put a pinhole in 'em when I get them home and let the propellent hiss off, then use a normal spraygun to put the paint onto the panel. It's a bit thin, but I simply back the line pressure off and mist it on. You can get a much better 'off the gun' finish than you can with a can. :wink:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Linegeist wrote:
(Did you hear about the bloke who dropped his Rolls Royce off at Levi Cohen's bodyshop to have it washed and simonized?

They shampooed the car and then cut two inches off the exhaust pipe!!! :shock: ) :wink:
Nope, but I heard about the dyslexic pimp who bought a warehouse! :wink:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

:rofl: I had to read that several times before the penny dropped (English is most definitely NOT my first language when it comes to fiendish English wordplays) but that's funny! :lol:
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Acrylic is a very fussy finish to apply. Everything has to be absolutely immaculate for a good finish. I'm not saying it WASN'T immaculate but you know what I mean.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

demag wrote:Acrylic is a very fussy finish to apply. Everything has to be absolutely immaculate for a good finish. I'm not saying it WASN'T immaculate but you know what I mean.
:shock: :shock: I say old chap! I'll have you know everything was absolutely, regimentally pristine.

Why, I only polished it not an hour previously! :P :P :wink: