glowplug thread chasing...

BX Tech talk
themildbunch
BXpert

glowplug thread chasing...

Post by themildbunch »

further to my depressing head gasket issue with my new TZD here:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=15

I now have another problem... while replacing the glowplugs one unscrewed with a little more tension than the others.. looks like it had been put in carelessly and the thread is slightly damaged. The new plug will screw in by hand about halfway and then stops and I'm not going to force it!

I'd rather use a thread chaser than a tap as I understand there's less likelihood of creating a new thread rather than just repairing the existing one. I'm a bit worried about swarf falling into the combustion chamber though.

Anyone used one of these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00996251000P

Looks good as it's designed to push the swarf out rather than in.

Any other good thread chaser tool recommendations?
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If you're going to be doing the HG anyway, it would make sense to sort out the thread then. But if it's something you need to sort straight away, then grease on the tap/chaser should help swarf to stick to it rather than falling in.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

If you're even slightly worried that there might be some swarf in the engine once you're finished, duct-tape a piece of small bore pipework to a vacuum cleaner nozzle and poke it into the glowplug hole to vacuum up any swarf that has gotten in there.

As an added measure to remove swarf, set the piston just slightly down from tdc between exhaust and induction, which will open a valve a bit. This means you can then stick the vaccum cleaner over the glowplug hole, and draw air in through the valve, through the swirl chamber throat, and away up the cleaner hose.

This has worked very effectively for me in the past, not only on this but also when bits of ceramic from a smashed spark plug ended up in a cylinder bore.
this might be a signature
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Well roger me roughly with a rusty pitchfork! (or not, if you prefer to be standoffish! :shock: ) That's a damned good idea!!!

I've been poncing around with cars all my life, and I never heard of that trick before....... Awesome! \:D/