Rear hub bearing gone: are s/h retrievable?

BX Tech talk
Mark Dunmore
Confirmed BX'er

Rear hub bearing gone: are s/h retrievable?

Post by Mark Dunmore »

The estate has been making a howling noise from the rear, which was related to road speed but went on l/h bends. Suspected n/s/r wheel/hub bearing, jacked it up tonight and confirmed this was the case by spinning the wheel free of weight; audible rumbling noise, and slight play.

Now, the question is this: do I bother going to the trouble of removing one off my spares car (both non-ABS), and hoping I can remove that so that it's reusable, or do I just get a new one from GSF? Does anyone know if the GSF one comes as a unit (bearing with hub flange, as per Cit original), or just a bearing alone? And are there any tips for fitting (i.e. tools required; I expect I'll need a hub puller and big socket!)? I know how it should come apart (detach caliper, remove disc, prise off cap etc.). However, time is short, and I may end up choosing the point-and-pay option in the end, but any info gratefully received!
'92 BX GTi Hurricane - gone to a good home
'90 BX 19TGD estate - goes, but not going anywhere!
'90 BX 19TGD hatch in even more bits...
'71 Dyane project
'74 2CV6 project
'82 2CV6 Club - gone to a good home
the remains of an '88 2CV6 Dolly - watch this space!
...and a '95 VW Passat auto estate!!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

yes the GSF one's do come as the OE units do, complete with flandge, the reason being is the bearing race's are machined into and part of the hub its self, so they are not just a bearing that can be seperated as most hub bearing do,

if your carefull you should be able to salvage a S/H hub/bearing as long as both cars do or do not have ABS,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Mark Dunmore
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mark Dunmore »

Thanks for that info. I think I'll get new anyway, as I'd rather not immobilise a vehicle that's still driveable (just!).

And whilst I'm reasonably confident that I could probably do the job myself, I don't have a back-up vehicle to hand if things go wonky, so it'll be point-n-pay this time (if the quote isn't too steep...), especially as it's needed for something fairly important over the bank holiday weekend (2CVGB Club Shop and stuff to London to Brighton event). That, and the fact that I'd have to blag some suitable tools!
'92 BX GTi Hurricane - gone to a good home
'90 BX 19TGD estate - goes, but not going anywhere!
'90 BX 19TGD hatch in even more bits...
'71 Dyane project
'74 2CV6 project
'82 2CV6 Club - gone to a good home
the remains of an '88 2CV6 Dolly - watch this space!
...and a '95 VW Passat auto estate!!