Changing front brake flexis

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Changing front brake flexis

Post by Dollywobbler »

Howdy
The BX is still suffering from brake binding. Sometimes I get to the end of a journey and everything's fine, sometimes the wheelnuts are too hot to touch.

New handbrake cables seemed to improve matters somewhat but as two people have told me that the calipers seem fine, I'm considering replacing the flexis in case they're breaking up internally and acting as a one-way valve.

How tricky a job is this? I understand the pipes themselves are not expensive.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

have you checked that the handbrake is releasing properly mate? had that before, didnt do it all the time.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

How new, and what quality are the brake pads?

I've had serious brake binding problems before now caused by pads that were too soft, thus when the service brake was applied, the handbrake mechanism would adjust up too far, and cause the brakes to bind (as noted by the fact that the handbrake had no free travel when this happened)

If you've recently fitted new pads, this could be an issue.

As for changing the flexies... if the tube-bolt at the union between the hard pipe and the flexi comes undone, then the job is easy. If it refuses to budge, then it becomes a bit more of an issue.

Other than that, it's a 1-hr-from-start-to-cup-of-tea job to do both sides.
this might be a signature
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Handbrake cables were fitted two weeks ago, so they're pretty new. Pads all have good depth to them still.

I have had that issue where the handbrake won't release - the light stays on and only goes out if the lever is held down. That caused some horrendous binding (55mph flat out!) so I pulled over, stamped on the brake pedal and gave the handbrake a few tugs and it fortunately released itself. That was before the new cables were fitted - not had it since.

I'll get some penetrating oil on the tube-bolt ASAP!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Have you checked the caliper slides to ensure they move freely?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yes. Two people have pulled them out, greased them up and reported that they're happy that they're sliding properly. Mind you, could be that they're fine when tested and then binding up again later? It needs sorting as I'm planning to drive this car back to the Alps this summer...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

When the brakes do bind, is it both sides at the same time, or just one side?

If it's both sides at the same time, I'd say that's a handbrake lever problem, as the only thing that is common to both calipers is the handbrake lever. Everything else is independent between sides.
this might be a signature
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, this is what makes it a right royal pain in the backside to track down. When it's been really bad, typically one side (each seems to have had a go) gets really hot compared to the other side, but generally, they both get warm. Though sometimes I can get to work with no heat issue. That's a journey of 25 miles. More often than not though, the brakes are 'hot wheelnut' warm when I get home, even if they're cool on arrival at the office the same day.

The drive to the office culminates in ten mins on a motorway. The drive back is cross country for the last bit. If it is the flexis, I guess that'd make sense as I'm using the brakes more for the last bit on the way home. If it was the handbrake, you'd expect the wheels to get warm on the motorway - but they never seem to.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Whilst we are at it on the weird brakes thing, my handbrake needs adjusting and has a lot of travel at the lever. So, due to a silly sod in a white van i had to do a big emergency stop, and the handbrake felt much better , sort of more positive on off, for a while anyway, now it needs adjusting and feels spongy again.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think that's pretty normal Matt. You adjust the handbrake by pressing the brake pedal hard I believe. Weird self-adjusting stuff. Stays adjusted about as long as a disc brake 2CV though. In other words, pretty much until you use the handbrake again!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'd put money on the calipers, what i think is happening is that when you apply the handbrake, when you release it, there's no real pressure to release a slightly sticking caliper, its only when you push the brake pedal that it creates enough pressure to disengage the slightly sticky calipers. Try driving your car without using the handbrake at all, & check your wheels for heat, if all seems fine, then do the exact same journey, but use your handbrake as normal & check for heat again. I think you'll find that you'll get the result as per my explanation of what i think is happening. I had the exact same issue myself on the driver side caliper & the handbrake was adjusted correctly so there wasn't an issue with that, but it kept binding whenever i used the handbrake. My solution was to get a new caliper fitted, & before that i just never used the handbrake, no more binding, problem was solved.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Could be it Mulley. When I drive to work, the car's been on my driveway handbrake-off for a few days. When I drive home, the car's been sitting with the handbrake on all day. I'll carry out some experiments. Taking the car to work tomorrow - bit nervous as I'm doing some daft mileage this weekend (Huntingdon to Birmingham to Prescott Hill Climb via Heathrow) and wanted to do it in the diseasel.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Just for clarification here..... you can 'adjust' the handbrake (or take up wear in the pads) by releasing the handbrake then pressing hard on the brake pedal several times - you may feel a firm resistance followed by a certain 'softness' for half an inch or so of pedal travel. What this does is unwind a screw affair inside the caliper piston assembly that takes up the slack in the handbrake linkage to compensate. If you try the handbrake after carrying this proceudre, you should find it travels a lot less before hitting the 'on' state. I find I have to do this about every 1500 miles or so.

A caveat too ..... it's a well know problem in (hotter) France, that BX handbrakes can self-release after a run.
This happened to my Mk1, which then ran downhill into the underground garage of our house, taking out the door, a headlamp and the front bumper in the process.
What happens is that you apply the handbrake at the end of a journey on hot front discs - which then cool off .... and contract. This allows the pressure exerted on the discs from the handbrake operated calipers to back off, effectively releasing the handbrake. BX's used to have a bit of a reputation for doing runaways it seems.
I never, ever, park a BX now without leaving it in gear. :?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

MULLEY wrote:Try driving your car without using the handbrake at all
What, like most people on the roads it seems? Oh, sorry - this isn't the grumpy old git thread.
Last edited by mat_fenwick on Tue May 25, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I never, ever, park a BX now without leaving it in gear
Good advice, i would go one further....

'I never park ANY car without leaving the handbrake on'

its just easier to be safe than sorry :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"