Driving to Spain, what should I get checked beforehand?

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Driving to Spain, what should I get checked beforehand?

Post by Wooscary »

Hello

Ok, me + girlfriend are driving along the top of Spain to Vigo and back in July/August in the 93' TZD.

Is there anything anyone thinks is an absolute must to have checked before we go? And also any spares that would be difficult to obtain?

Cambelt is being done in the next week, tyres are good, brakes have been done recently. I'm going to do oil/filter shortly too.

There is nothing that seems to be causing a problem. As anyone who knows Geoff from this forum will know, he kept the car very well so I'm struggling to find anything wrong with it!

(As a side note, I don't post much because I don't really have much to add, but I'm really getting a lot out of reading the advice posted here, so thanks for that)

Martin
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

We did the BXagon in a 92 TZD turbo and nothing went wrong with it, although we did carry loads of spares. We needed new brake pads and the heater was a bit iffy, but the car soldiered on without a hint of trouble.

We thought having a cleaned out intercooler and new air filter were a good idea. The alternator was checked and we had a good battery. Make sure your fans are cutting in when they should and that the coolant's in good order.

You could take out the AA European breakdown cover (and they do a £500 parts and labour cover option too), but that might be too expensive to consider: especially given the cost of fuel.

I would check you carry LHM, some wire to tie up the exhaust should it fall off, some duct tape, tie wraps, toolkit, torch, rags and gloves, a hose repair kit and some WD40. Oh and don't forget the mandatory stuff like bulbs, beam convertors, triangle and hi-vis vests. Not to mention a litre of oil, small first aid kit, blanket, 2 litres of water plus some anti-freeze (for the car not you lol!), phrase book, car documentation (including insurance and licence)...

Oh and make sure your tyres - including the spare - are all good and up to pressure. Check the jack and wheel brace are present.

You could carry a spare clutch cable too - and anything else that's specific to the RHD BX (that is essential) - as although you won't want to fit them at least a garagiste could with the right part at hand.

Enjoy!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

As Phil says, fluids and RHD specifics are a good idea. Our only issue on the BXagon was the lower pipe chafing through on the anti-roll bar link. Otherwise, aside from minor oil and LHM top-ups, we needed nothing.

I've got my BX on a classic policy, with full European breakdown cover. I've only resorted to it once (H van, smashed windscreen in Germany) but it's nice to know it's there!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Cheers for the replies. That all sounds like good advice.

I'd certainly be taking all the usual duct tape and bits of string.

We drove to Norway last year in my previous car (a B5 Passat) and all was well. Of course I'm in no way more worried about a BX making it that far... :D

So yes, I'll do all the general service stuff, filters etc. And carry a clutch cable, and LHM. What would a hose repair kit consist of?

And breakdown cover sounds like a potentially good idea.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hose repair kit is a bunch of two (I think) types of tape and some clips (?). Halfrauds sell 'em. I have one but I don't know what's in it having never used it!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I'll take a look, cheers for the info.

The car will have plenty of space in it for all the extra bits, with only the two of us. On the Norway trip there were four of us plus cold weather gear. Bumpers scraping the ground!
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

On top of what others have said, I'd put in a few odds of hose for patching up the octopus pipe if it starts to give trouble, some self-amalgamating tape (good for hoses and wiring), a front strut return pipe thingy, plus spare alternator and HP pump belts. I also carry some latex surgical gloves and some baby wipes so you can avoid covering the inside of the car in gunge after you've been delving underneath it - the latter are great for cleaning bugs off the windscreen too. Oh, a square of plastic or something kneel/lie on doesn't take any space but makes life a bit easier.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

Don't forget that when driving in France the hi vis jacket and triangle should be within reach of the driver without getting out of the car - not in the boot.
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!