Alarm

BX Tech talk
rayfenwick
1K Away

Alarm

Post by rayfenwick »

Hi all

Did some BX's come with factory fitted alarm (courtesy of Texton probably)?

Does anyone know if the wiring is there, and just needs a box & sounder plugging in?

Has anyone installed an alarm themselves?

Whilst a BX is not the most desirable car for scumbags to steal, I'd still like to have one fitted...

Thoughts please?
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

I don’t think Citroen fitted an alarm system on the BX production line. To my knowledge - UK wise, there’s no pre installed wiring.
Usually alarm manufactures would construct a universal package, endorsed by Citroen that would easily adapt into the existing circuitry and fitted by a main dealer.

There’s quite a few systems available, but it depends on the extent of alarm cover required. Immobiliser, door entry, break-in, tilt, auto window close and electrical system monitoring.
Check with your insurance company to see if they offer a discount on cars fitted with alarm/immobiliser systems. Some companies will only offer a reduction with units installed by approved companies. If you fit the system yourself, mention you purchased the car with the unit already fitted.

With the BX, you need a permanent supply from the battery, fused at approx 10amps, and ran under the front wipe/fan motors
The sounder mounted near the front washer tank and the main control unit fitted inside the dash above the electric mirror switch.

Keeping most of the wiring to the O/S/F makes life easier.

For the immobiliser, would recommend using the ignition-on circuit rather than starter motor supply. Door entry - the wiring from the O/S/F door is just above your right foot behind the trim panel. Movement sensors, placed left and right at the top of each window pillar trim panel. These panels can break very easily while removing; try using a flexible push/pull draw wire first. Any flashing LED lights can be mounted on the small vertical panel adjacent to the clock.

The only addition I would personally add is a concealed 3 pole changeover/isolation switch for the ignition-on immobiliser circuit, placed inside the lower dash/centre consol area just encase you loose the bleeper.

Regards
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

All very sensible advice, thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Nope NO BX models came with a factory fit alarm, they were all after market or dealer fit, personally I think they are a pain in the arse as noone really pays much attention. Best of with a visual deterrant or an immobiliser.

Remember the moss alarm with the square fob and red button??, everyone had one back in the early 90s, has 2 or 3 cars with them where they had been diconnected as they packed in!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

I've got a stoplock thing for the steering wheel which should help deter the scrotes, but personally the only alarm system I've ever had problems with was a factory fit Renault system that had become waterlogged due to the owner parking in the rain with the window open...... :roll:
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

In the 1980s the MOSS alarms went off so often that the birds started singing the same sound.

If you have a GTI, the fuel pump is handy to inurrupt for immobilisation, the power feed runs under the driver's seat.

My alarm/immobiliser stopped my BX GTI being stolen once, so I think alarms are worthwhile. But I would not fit ultrasonic sensors, as they are the cause of many false alarms.

I will fit an alarm/immobiliser on any car I own that does not have at least a transponder type immobiliser fitted.

As all modern cars are well protected against theft, older cars need more protection as the scum target them because they are easier to steal.

If you have a newer car, they burgle you for the keys.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'd be much happier with an alarm than not. I'll have a look on ebay....
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Maplin used to do a nice line in alarms, Vixen I think they were called.

Thats what I had an the GTI which saved the day.........well it saved the car, my NCD and a long walk to Wakefield for me, my wife, my mother in law and 1 year old in a pram. In the dark etc.

Come to think of it, that alarm was worth its weight in gold.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!