can BX 19 ignition barrel be repaired?

BX Tech talk
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

can BX 19 ignition barrel be repaired?

Post by kevlights »

1989 petrol BX GTi Auto UK import to NZ
The ignition switch will not return ,you have to manually turn it back from the start position; the return spring does not work; has any body had one of these apart ? And are they repairable? thanks, regards Kev
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
just a little bit insane and slightly Euro potty
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Yes it can, I did one last week. :)

It's not a complicated job. The hardest bits are opening the can, which involves bending to tabs up, and then bending the whole can a bit to get it off, though a vice will make putting it back easy enough unless you go crazy opening the can, and working out how the spring goes in. It's not that complicated once you think about how the switch works - ie you only push against the spring for the actual starting position, not the other 2.

Hope this helps, and if you get stuck, give me a shout.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

BX ignition swith repair

Post by kevlights »

Thank you for your reply ,that has given me the confidence to go ahead and attempt repairs ;if the spring is broken ,any idea what type of supplier might have a replacement spring,and is it a bar spring or a spirl type ,thanks regards Kev
The main problem with it the way it is,as you have turn turn the key back from the start position manually, is that sometimes the indicators don't work ,and the battery doesn't charge until you wiggle the key,I would hate to know what else is on that circuit ,that is not working.thanks again Kev
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

You're welcome. The spring in question is a coil spring that is a slightly smaller size than the outer barrel. It has a 90 degree kink at each end that hold it in tension against plastic casing of the lock itself - I am certain that one of these ends has broken off. Here's how it works:

When you turn the key to position's 1 &2, the spring is unaffected, but when you turn to the start position, a small cam-type affair on the end of the lock-shaft that turns with the key presses against one of the kinked ends of the spring, trying to coil it further, which provides the tension, and the return.

I hope all this makes sense (I really should have made photos... :oops: ) It should all become apparent once you take it apart.

I got lucky, in that a lovely guy called Peter Dykes (who is well known amongst BX'ers) had a good barrel with no key, which he very kindly gave me, but I'm sure a visit to the scrapyard will produce a suitable donor barrel.

Let us know how you get on, and maybe make some photos? :roll:
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

bx key ignition barrel repair

Post by kevlights »

thanks for your reply ,
I pulled it to bits and the barrel is obviously a replacement one ,as the case of the security cover has been drilled out;
It appears this was done so the barrel could be removed with out the key ( key lost?) by previous owner, any way after dismantling the lock, found nothing wrong with it mechanically, other than the fact that the plastic lug part of the wiring block that engages with the back of the key mechanism,
was 90 % out of sync; it was not lined up properly I could actually start the car by just turning this little lug,

I think the who ever put the new key barrel into the car must of inadvertently moved the engaging lug that connects the key to the wires;

the other fault i found was the little miniature torc screw that holds the anti theft lock, on to the back of the key barrel was too long, and was jamming the ability of the key to turn;
looks like the previous owner combined bits from both locks to make one ignition barrel, perhaps a non ABS and standard car ?
both sorted and key turns and works like it should now; thanks regards Kev
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

All's well that ends well :)
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk