16v horrible fuel line access...

BX Tech talk
themildbunch
BXpert

16v horrible fuel line access...

Post by themildbunch »

Hi

I raised my 16v from the garage for the first time in a long time today but noticed a nasty fuel leak dripping down around the rear suspension arm..

I'd changed the fuel filter a while back but as the car is SORNed at the moment it hasn't seen the light much..

What I found was that the leak was coming from what I think is a non return valve positioned on top of the subframe above the fuel filter and pump.. I must have dislodged this pipe or the rusty hose clip when I did the filter..

Access to this is a nightmare - By removing the rear exhaust, spare wheel and charcoal canister tube I managed to remove the nearest hose clip and refit a new one but the one at the back I could get a small 1/4" socket on but the nut of the clip sheared off!!
I'm pretty sure the leak is from the easier one but now the nut has sheared I'm getting worried.. If you take the rear wheel and brake backplate off your can see what looks like a nut holding this valve onto it's mounting plate but there's no room to get anything on it..

Here's a picture of the area - you can just about see the valve in the middle..

Can this valve be removed without major disassembly?

thanks

adrian
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

pulse damper I'm guessing?
It's very easy to drop one side of the subframe and that makes access a good sight easier.
Sadly, I dont have any spare dampers any longer, although I know several people that have by-passed it..
Personally I wouldn't.. but...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

I don’t think???-- It’s a valve; it could be a fuel pump pulsation chamber.
There maybe a non-return inside but never removed one.

Fluid pulsation chambers are usually fitted after an oscillating pump to dampen and stabilise the output flow prior to any pressure regulators, such as the unit on the fuel rail.

Regards
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Snap Doc, we both must have finished work at the same time.

Regards
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Thanks for that... that makes perfect sense.. I'd never have thought dropping the subframe would be easy?!
Car's on ramps at the rear.. is it best to put the side in question on an axle stand at the rear sill jacking point then lower that side?
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

If the sills in good nick then yes, but bear in mind the subframe drops awfully close to the sill, so if you have the jaw of the axle stand sticking inboard of the sill the subframe will most likely strike it on the way down...

Tis only 3 bolts a side that hold it to the car..

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Any one have a spare pressure damper!.. inlet pipe on this had shared.. I think it's available still... waiting on dtm in bristol.
Going to bypass it for now so I can get the car going. Still gives me a chance to wire brush and kill the surface rust all over that area...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Not that I need to, but I was mulling this over, when 'dropping the subframe' do you have to disconnect hydraulic lines or are they all out of the way?
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Umm.. not sure, haven't actually tackled this yet... I bypassed the pressure damper for now.
The damper is still available new 38+vat..
It actually looks like it can be removed without messing with the subframe. Only problem is someone has mashed the 19mm nut holding it onto the bracket. Otherwise a socket on a wobble bar should undo it easily as long as the brake backplate is removed. Will post the picture soon...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Yeah it's possible to replace without disturbing the subframe, but dropping it does make it a little easier!

The F-R pipes all run to the N/S of the car and you can drop the subframe a fair bit without wrecking the pipes.
Obviousley if you're dropping the subframe more than a few inches then yes, best to disconnect the pipes before you start...

Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

The damper is still available new 38+vat..
I suggest that you make a visit to the scrapyard, as the exact same item can be found on a Peugeot 405 Gti. The only difference being this item is located under the bonnet, and hence is usually in pristine condition when compared to the same item from a Bx.
You might also find this component on other Peugeot cars of the same era.

Some years ago I experienced the exact same problem as the OP, and had to bypass this device for a while, until I found a good s/h item which I then fitted to the Bx, but this time I relocated it to under the bonnet as per Peugeot practice, voilla job done.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

KevinB, that sounds like a top tip, is there any chance you could take some piccies of where you fitted it in the engine bay, might prove useful to club members & could possibly become a sticky or techy link for the future :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.