bx starting problems

BX Tech talk
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

bx starting problems

Post by kevlights »

1989 BX GTi auto petrol injected;
the car has recently been hard to start,
when you turn the key ,the car will start turn or run for a few seconds then stops, only runs for about 3- 5 seconds then stops, then if you try and start it again, the engine just cranks and turns over on the starter, but will not fire.
What i generally do then, is leave it for half an hour ,then it may or may not start. after that i generally give up;
Car was fine all through the summer ,put a replacement battery in it recently and just cleaned the spark plugs. Have charged battery several times ,alternator tested good.
Any ideas were i should look first , weather is cold and very wet here at moment ,floods 80 klms south but just cold and damp here
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
just a little bit insane and slightly Euro potty
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

you just answered your problem

Cold and Damp
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

BX failing to start

Post by kevlights »

thanks for the cold damp info,but how do i fix it? is there a way of getting the car to start ? ,i have cleaned the air cleaner and made sure the sensor flap was moving free ;after the battery is charged this after noon,will check the distributor and make sure that is clean ,and is okay;gosh is that in a difficult position looks like i have to take the battery out; oh the joys of working on a BX ; other than the distributor is there any other place i should look at? to solve this, start and runs for a few seconds then cuts out and will not restart help !!
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
just a little bit insane and slightly Euro potty