auto to manual conversion- MK1 16 TRS

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Strange, ive owned a couple of 1.6 autos and found them to be fine, not fast but not a slug, maybe the kickdown cables need adjusting? or the engine itself could do with some work.

Mr Fearns good lady has a 1.6 auto so maybe he could be of help.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Roverman wrote:Strange...maybe the kickdown cables need adjusting? or the engine itself could do with some work.
Engine from my experience is solid/good compression etc..timing etc spot on... Carb maybe an issue as its a cow to start cold, and takes forever to idle smoothly/not stall.. just wondering though if i'd be worth while bothering to look there as I dont think any performance gain found there would be significant enough..

When the car is warm, there dont appear to be any issues with the carb.. Previous owner put a kit through it as well. Am i totally wrong or ignoring the obvious??,,

In respect to the kickdown cables, these have been adjusted (by me :P) but even if i hold the car in 1st then 2nd then 3rd whilst accelerating it still just feels so sluggish. Perhaps my cat is old and clogged?? (meow.. Margot needs an enema!!!)

Thoughts??

Thanks
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

sounds like you have the BX auto choke syndrom,

first thing to check there is coolant level, if this is low there wont be any getting up to the choke waxstat, also check the choke flap is not fully closed whilst the engine is stone cold,

the way to tell if its choke flap adjustment is, remove the boot from the top of the carb, and place a small screw driver into the primmay venturey to hold the choke flap open just a little, now try to start the engine,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Sorry I should have added that i have entirely removed the choke and installed an electromechanical substitute (aka central locking solenoid and link to carb).. It does HELP the cold starting but by no mean eliviates it..

when warmed up she's fine (except for the dead buffalo that it is dragging)...

...(brakes not binding)

i really do think that it is simply a small engine-auto transmission issue..

I had a similar problem with a SAAB 900 auto. I had had all manuals up till that one but the difference was chalk and cheese between manual and the auto..

With the BX its light weight with a light weight engine (all alloy) but the performance is being strangled by the auto i think.

Besides I'm really warming to the idea of a 5spd and finding a 1.9 and doing a complete swap out and really transforming the car. When i do that i can get into the nitty gritty of all the things that are so much more difficult with engine in situ (ala octopus/ sway bar bearings/bushes)
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
B-Hive
BXpert

big step forward

Post by B-Hive »

Ok

This post will probably create both interest and ire from all you good folk here..

The good news is that I have sourced a donor vehicle (1.9 carb 5spd) for the conversion, as well as providing some really useful other parts. (struts, quiet HP pump, nicer black interior, spare aircond compressor, better subframe)

I pick the donor car up in a few days and am mentally planning what to remove (aside from the obvious bits that i need). So the list is engine/gearbox/driveshafts, front struts, headlights, interior, heater core, radiator, all hydraulics, fuel sender, windscreen(!!!!),

Should I bother with calipers, and the rear arm bearings etc or are these just junk? what else should i harvest????

The bad news is that it is an 85 MK1 GT....rust free...

I know this may perhaps raise some angry eyebrows that I will pull apart a rare model, but after much consideration I believe it is the best course. The body of the GT is pretty straight but the paint and overall condition of it's interior is really beyond spending the money to have it painted and otherwise tidied up. The dash is almost dust, and although the seats are in quite good nick, I know my cars well enuf to know that its beyond realistic comeback.

So the idea is to effectively convert the TRS into a non genuine GT.

Another quick question if you're still reading........once the car is on stands and stripped, what is the best method to have the shell removed as, I am anticipating that jacking it off the stands would not work as it will ultimately want to go lower that than the jack will allow,,, leaving me with a hydraulic jack stuck under the car. If a crane/grabber were to show up and the car was on the driveway, (not in the carport) that would be okay...but i want to do the surgery under the carport and have the carcass pulled out and onto a tray top truck...

I think this is an effective way of future safe guarding at least one MK1, as
the TRS is struggling with its aging auto...(good most of the time, but it realistically has only a couple of years life, plus my engine is getting more fumey and tired).

Anyway end of long post...
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Well, having myself been the target of some unhappy persons after scrapping 3 Valvers despite saving another 3 and knowing whether they're worthwhile or not.... You do what you've got to do!

As for transport of the shell... Go to your local corner shops and round the back you'll find metal BreadWheels, these are the flat trolleys they put the bread crates on (don't use the plastic ones). Get at least 2 trolleys to sit the shell on (3 is better, 2 under the front sills and one under the back). Then you can wheel it around any reasonably smooth surface.

Where in the country are you located?
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sounds like a plan. OK a GT is going to meet its maker (but it sounds as if it was going to anyway sooner rather than later) but more importantly we have another BX (yours) given a new lease of life.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Some won't like it, but unless they're actually wanting to buy the car and prepared to give you what you'd otherwise have to pay for the spare parts you'll be getting, I wouldn't feel guilty.
I'd get the rear arms and calipers too - you can always bin them if they turn out to be junk, or you could rebuild them at your leisure and put on yours without it having to be on the road.
Even if you get the calipers reconditioned by someone else, the day will come when they want yours to rebuild rather than having a direct exchange on the shelf.
Windscreen will probably be a pain to get out though (and store!)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

It is a shame a rare car is being scrapped if its not rotten, would it not be better to swop some bits off yours to the GT? If you were in the UK I would be interested.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Sounds nuts to me - but not as nuts as other things going on in the World! You bought the cars so it's up to you what you do with them. But... if you had a Picasso would you cut off a nose to spite the face of a Gaudi?

I wonder how long it'll be before objet d'art have a listing system like special houses (please excuse my French) ?
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would keep the doors, bonnet, tailgate, wings, bumpers etc. as well as they will probably become impossible to get in the not too distant future. Mechanical parts can always be overhauled but body parts are rarely re-manufactured if the demand is not there. It will be accident damage or similar rather than mechanical failure that could condem our cars to the scrap yard as body parts become impossible to get hold off.

p.s. they are all removeable in minuits.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.