BX will not get up!!! HELP!

BX Tech talk
bsgutkin

Post by bsgutkin »

Walked out the other morning to drive my mom to the airport and my BX did not rise. Lever is in the normal driving position, the car lowered overnight. There is no clicking that I can tell and the LHM fluid indicator is all the way to the top with the engine running.

Any advice on what to do?

Cheers

B
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

bx not rising

Post by bill o »

is the pump drive belt still intact ?
fluid level is read with engine running in high position,so may in fact be too low.
check under car for any puddles of green liquid------l h m. i hope some of these may be of help,on my old tzd which was a slow riser it helped to rev the engine slightly and press the prake pedal firmly
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

I had a 19Rd which didnt have correct grade of LHM in,i think some nob had been using engine oil to top up.It could take 5 minutes to lift and no power steering.It used to help turning steering on full lock to kick start the pump.Try using manual height lever inside car by moving it up to top notch for a while and this may start the pump also.As you can tell ive had some ruff old nails in my time !Can you hear pump working?Does it have brake pressure on the pedal?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
bsgutkin

Post by bsgutkin »

richardd1652 wrote:I had a 19Rd which didnt have correct grade of LHM in,i think some nob had been using engine oil to top up.It could take 5 minutes to lift and no power steering.It used to help turning steering on full lock to kick start the pump.Try using manual height lever inside car by moving it up to top notch for a while and this may start the pump also.As you can tell ive had some ruff old nails in my time !Can you hear pump working?Does it have brake pressure on the pedal?
Richard.
So -- pump belt is in tact, the pump seems to be "working", the LHM level indicator is all the way to the top, but the level appears a bit low in the tank. Te car does not rise at all - no matter what I do with lever or with the break pedal. In fact there is not break assist. Oh, and I do not hear any clicking sounds....no puddles anywhere that I can see....hmmmm.....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

top uo the LHM (level indicators often stick) and try bleeding it on the 12mm (spanner size) bleed screw next to the actuator.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Just thinking about it in basic terms... either the pump is not working (bit of muck jamming a valve open or air in the pump etc) or whatever is being pumped is getting past a blown seal somewhere straight back to the reservoir.

Finding out which of those 2 it is could be a good starting point.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

how long ago was the car last up and running, and how long did/dose it usualy take to get her up, are the filters in the tank clogged up,

as has been sudgested open the 12mm bleed valve on the front of the regulator, set lever ti its highest, let the engine idle for a couple of minuites, then hold the revs at around 2.5K whilst tightenning the bleed valve, do not slacken the 12mm valve more that about 3/4 of a turn,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Maybe a practical joker has been out with his 12 mm spanner and opened the bleed screw in the night. :D Gibbo.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Could be a height corrector thats stuck :?:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
bsgutkin

Post by bsgutkin »

citronut wrote:how long ago was the car last up and running, and how long did/dose it usualy take to get her up, are the filters in the tank clogged up,

as has been sudgested open the 12mm bleed valve on the front of the regulator, set lever ti its highest, let the engine idle for a couple of minuites, then hold the revs at around 2.5K whilst tightenning the bleed valve, do not slacken the 12mm valve more that about 3/4 of a turn,

regards malcolm
Many thanks for the advise. So I topped up the LHM fluid and checked the filter (seems ok to me). Then as assured by a local mechanic (I live in Paris) I waited to the car to rise - it used to rise right off with no problem -- nothing....no cuting in sounds or clicks, no breaks, nothing....

I actually believe that there was plenty of LHM fluid -- now when I pump the break pedal with the engine running (still no breaks) - the LHM tank overflows. Otherwise I cannot see any large external leaks (no puddles) .... HELP!!!!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

have you blead it yet by undoing the bleed screw, you realy need to try this before going any further?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
bsgutkin

Post by bsgutkin »

Defender110 wrote:have you blead it yet by undoing the bleed screw, you realy need to try this before going any further?
And so the saga conitnues. Just bled the system as advised - no effect. (no pshiit, no nothing) In fact it seems like the pump is not pumping anything - I cannot see any movement in the fluid level. I guess its the pump then....yickes...expensive!
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Before you go chasing for a replacement pump, try this:

Replace the hose from the LHM tank to the pump inlet ( a length of garden hose will suffice). Better still a length of clear hose.

Undo the bleed valve 3/4 turn.

Attach the pump end first, then with a funnel on the other end, fill the tube with lhm, connect the other end of the pipe to the tank.
Start the engine, leave running a couple of minutes, then tighten the bleed bolt.

Report findings.

Good luck.
RxBX
Over 2k

Re: BX will not get up!!! HELP!

Post by RxBX »

bsgutkin wrote:Walked out the other morning to drive my mom to the airport and my BX did not rise. Lever is in the normal driving position, the car lowered overnight. There is no clicking that I can tell and the LHM fluid indicator is all the way to the top with the engine running.

Any advice on what to do?

Cheers

B
Gibbo2286 wrote:Maybe a practical joker has been out with his 12 mm spanner and opened the bleed screw in the night. :D Gibbo.
If no one has tampered with the car or any hydraulic work has been carried since the car worked/raised it self correctly and having carried out some of the checks as suggested above it could possibly be two or three other thing's that are preventing it !

So going down the check list again to re-cap, with the engine running with a HP pump belt which is in good condition and correctly tensioned and the HP pump rotating, as follows :-

1) Did the car rise/work the night before as normal ?

2) If yes, does it look as if it's been tampered with at all around the regulator bleed screw area or feed pipe from the LHM tank to the HP pump ?

3) If no, check for any leaks from the LHM tank to the HP pump (If you have any then the system may have drawn air in) any air locks need purging thro' and eliminated from the system by priming the pump or by being forced thro' by a small/low pressure electric tyre pump connected to the LHM tank vent connections, obviously you need the correct amount of LHM fluid in the LHM tank whilst doing this too !

4) With the Bleed screw opened up 3/4 to 1-1/2 turns max. then tighten up the bleed screw to lock off, then hopefully the car should start to rise up when the height lever is in the normal position or above !

5) If this fails, as you state there's no clicking which means this system is not up to pressure yet when the regulator to accumulator normally trips out (Making the clicking noise) this now may indeed be that some Joker has tampered with you car by removing the bleed screw completely and has removed the ball bearing between the valve seat and the bleed screw and then just replaced the bleed screw only !

6) This needs to be checked out because if this ball bearing is missing you BX will NEVER rise up !

So with the engine switched off carefully place a container under the area of the regulator/bleed screw to catch the ball bearing if indeed it is still in place !

Then remove the bleed screw completely to check if it's there ?

If if is great, just replace the ball bearing into the bleed screw orifice and tighten up the bleed screw, the symptoms are now looking like a failing/failed HP pump :roll: if your 100% positive that there are definitely no air leaks/cracks in the feed pipe from the LHM tank to the inlet side of the HP pump and you have primed and purged any trapped air between these two component's ?

7) If the ball bearing is missing (Between the bleed screw and regulator/valve body) this your problem and all you need to do is get a new/replacement one, fit it and bleed the air in the system with the lever in the normal height position or above and then lock the bleed screw off and then the car should rise up !

I hope this maybe of help to you.

:D

RxBX
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i agree with all RxBx says,
but add it has been talked about on other forums of the ball bearing not seatting fully, and requireing the valve screw revoeving and the ball given a sharp whack with a small copper drift and a hammer to re/seat it,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)