cyl. head removal

BX Tech talk
studleydave

cyl. head removal

Post by studleydave »

could anyone out there recommend how to undo /remove seized and rounded
bolts on bx exhaust downpipe, spring loaded type. considered removing manifold but it's bolts similar. see previous posts ref. this bx. now removing head. i have a hacksaw handy!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

have you checked compressiion before you whip the head off, do find it strange its gone just like that!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes Dave listen to Tim, you appear to be steaming ahead here with a problem you have not fully diagnosed. It appears very strange your smoke problems only started after you changed your dizzy cap, have you double / tripple checked you have put the leads on right, have you checked your timing? have you done a pressure or sniff test? have you checked your fuel? (water or diesel in your petrol) What has convinced you that you have to rip the head off?
This car was bought from a very reputable Citroen enthusiast who works in the motor trade, you haven't been stiched!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
studleydave

compression test

Post by studleydave »

hi tim just looked at your reply to post. i'm not that bright but if there is compression problem it occurs to me that the head must come off anyway?
studleydave

cylinder head removal

Post by studleydave »

hi defender 110, thanks for response.firstly no suggestion of rip off just seems to be my poor record with bx's and i've had a few but mainly gsa enthusiast. how can i check for water in fuel and have checked dist leads based on distributor rotating anti-clockwise viewed from cap end.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: compression test

Post by ken newbold »

studleydave wrote:hi tim just looked at your reply to post. i'm not that bright but if there is compression problem it occurs to me that the head must come off anyway?
Indeed, but if there isn't a compression problem, you could be wasting your time.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: compression test

Post by Tim Leech »

Get the plugs out and check for compression on all 4 cylinders then see whats what, does the car drive ok or is it misfiring?

Also put the old cap on and see if the smokes goes!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Double check that you've got the right dist cap, some of them look the same but are about a fifth of a turn out and the rotor arm doesn't line up with the plug lead contacts. Gibbo.