19TRS Not starting

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

19TRS Not starting

Post by kiwi »

Ok the 19TRS has been parked up since its checke up back in mid May so went to start it and as I expected it was the same old slow start due to an issue to the carbie and cold starts.

So after I got it running for a while to get the suspension into high to hunt for the source of a couple of oil drips. Everything fine!

Goes to restart it later and same slow start of attempts and then nothing! Turn the key dash lights go out but nothing from the starter. Battery Flat? No checked it thats fine tried the battery in the other BX and vice versa and same result nothing.

So I got power but nothing when turn the key no turnover nothing. Cant remeber for the life of me what the fault could be other than starter motor. Which sounds odd because no hint of it going!

Thoughts please
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Engine seized? :lol:
It would probably be worth checking the battery/starter leads - I can't think why they would suddenly 'go' but I had similar happen to be a couple of years ago. Absolutely fine starting it on a (winter) morning, but then a couple of hours into the journey, at a motorway services there was just a clunk and not enough power to turn the starter. The (eventual!) clue was the terminal on the earth lead gearbox end becoming very hot and smoking, although I didn't realise this until some time after I had managed a solo bump start on the flat, in the rain....
Edit - I've just though, it could be the starter contact on the ignition switch. Time for a multimeter me thinks, or a test lamp if you are on your own.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Doubt on the Engine seized and yes it is winter here once temps drop below 20c this car has always been a pig to start first time, the TZS is get a bit like it with the joys of a solex carb.

It is not the battery thats been checked, tested by multimeter and in the other BX.

Now you mentioned it Ignition Switch sounds a good possibilty as I think thats what happened to my TZS a few years back on a cold winters day up on the mountain.

If thats the case whats the best way and wires to splice and rig up an alternative method of a push switch to start it?

before I try that I will try direct feed from the battery to the starter see if that works....or blows me up... :lol:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

What I was meaning was battery to starter leads as I realised you had already ruled out the battery. Easy to check with a set of jump leads, not forgetting the lead connection. Probably safest when checking the +ve lead to connect the starter end first rather than poking around with a live jump lead!
To rig up a push switch all you need to do is get a 12V supply to the small terminal on the solenoid - may be worth checking that hasn't simply fallen off of corroded first. Again, a temporary test lead direct from the battery would help show what's wrong.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
B-Hive
BXpert

auto?

Post by B-Hive »

is it an auto?

i had a similar starting issue that turned out be be bad connection on the auto inhibitor switch..

just a thought
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

do you get any clicking from the solenoid?
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: auto?

Post by kiwi »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:is it an auto?
Manual...thanks anyways
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

CaM wrote:do you get any clicking from the solenoid?
Nothing!

I am going to try the bypass method see if that works
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

check for continuity first. I guess you could do that by jsut jumping the solenoid exciter wire.
check your positive terminal doesn't have grot around it.
also, is there the potentiality that your starter is caught in mesh?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Semi sorted

Did the screw driver test! Nothing happened just some sparks :lol:

So that says starter motor is fubar to me! Tested the spare starter I have which works so the job is changed.

Looking at the end of the starter Solenoid there is a bit of damage which probably has finally failed. Now the mission to get the starter out because it is not held in by those normal Allen Key bolts. I suspect I will have to disconect the clutch arm to get to one of the bolts.

This is the job I was not looking forward to.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

FIXED

The swapping of Starter Motors cured the problem. Seems the problem is not the solenoid just the bushees within the starter casing. Will know that for sure once I get around to stripping it down.

First Time in 20 odd years of driving I have ever had a Starter Motor just die suddenly on me without even a hint of trouble.