Windscreen replacement ??

BX Tech talk
olddormouse

Windscreen replacement ??

Post by olddormouse »

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to BX forums although I've had a few over the years. My BX 19 Diesel Auto has a terminal windscreen crack from top passenger side to lower edge. I don't have windscreen cover.

Haynes helpfully says "If you have the misfortune to need a new window take it to a Citroen dealer" I've just fitted side windows to my C15 van here in France but appreciate the BX windscreen is a whole different ball game. Is it do-able and if so what trouble spots do I need to look out for.

I'm an old timer who used to just lie on my back in the days of yore and simply push windows out but all this bonding is scary. Any advice welcome. Only quote so far is €336 and as I only paid £350 for my lovely car I'm more than a little reluctant.

:oops: [/list]
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Hello :)

I wonder if you couldn't find a scrappy with a BX with a good screen and ask the friendly scrap man if he'd be willing to fit it?

I suppose there's always the option to get windscreen cover on your insurance, wait a while, and then get them to fix it. It depends if your conscience can be bought for 400 euros :wink:

That does sound an awful lot of money though. You could just have a go yourself, and if it goes tits-up, pay someone to finish it off for you... I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to offer good technical hints and tips to get the job done.

Good luck
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

A few years ago I got a quote from Autoglass just to take out and refit the same screen in two visits (not on a BX) so I could weld around the screen aperture. This would have been £50, so if you can find a second hand screen then fitting it and removal of the old shouldn't be too costly, assuming similar firms exist in France.

As an aside, they couldn't come round for a while so I had a crack (quite literally) at removing the screen myself which was terminal for the screen. (I later learnt that the correct way to remove it was with what looked like cheese wire fed between the screen and the frame). As a huge stoke of luck Autoglass had a screen in stock for my car (a Hyundai Stellar) which was very fortunate as spares were starting to dry up. As it was old stock I managed to get it for £100 I think - the bad news was they damaged it on its way to me, and Hyundai had no new ones left. After many weeks both of us searching they eventually offered to get one custom made for me at no extra cost. I dread to think how much it cost them but all credit to them for their service!

My advice would be to try and get the old screen out (if you have some form of cover) with some wire (eBay lists a few kits) so if it does go wrong at least you're only damaging an already cracked screen. Then, once you are practised, do the same in a scrapyard to remove a good screen. From observing the process I noticed they put a bonding primer on top of the paint, before the adhesive. However if the price simply to fit a replacement windscreen is reasonable you could leave that part of the job to the pros.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
olddormouse

Post by olddormouse »

Thanks for the responses but it seems in France they are only too aware of the relative rarity of BX windscreens....I found one in a scrappie and it was them who "offered" me the €336 quote...all complete of course. They told me that Citroen don't make the windscreens any more so I'll have to shop around. The sad bit is that I can buy a whole BX with only a few issues for €300 on the equivalent of France's ebay, a great site called leboncoin.fr, but I simply don't have the storage space to keep it...even though it is tempting to sell it off in spares and I'd probably cover my costs...who knows maybe that'll be the answer.

I'll look into the cheeswire idea although I must admit I thought that was for installing glass pieces by pulli8ng the wire through the rubber glazing gasket.

Any more suggestions welcome.

Thanks
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Drive over to the UK & get it done cheap, that way at least you can have a holiday out of it :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No. for two, a bronze and a green tint,

from service citroen if they are still avalible

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00008116RF WINDSCREEN GLAS 108.40 GBP 127.37 GBP 127.37 GBP

00008116RE WINDSCREEN GLAS 87.73 GBP 103.08 GBP 103.08 GBP

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It might be an idea to ask the UK windscreen replacement boys to quote you a price for supply only.

I once bought a Ren 25 with a vandalised rear windscreen and rear door glass, huge green tinted screen with heating elements built in, I asked for a quote and was told £390 + vat, told them it was much too much as I was trade and the car wasn't worth it.

The guy said "Oh it's not an insurance job then." I told him I was paying for it from my own pocket, they sent their van out, replaced the rear screen and supplied the door glass for me to fit myself, in total the bill was £70 + vat. Unbelievable. Gibbo.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

My local scrappie here in Normandy (now sadly defunct), used to do quite a few BX screens. Watched him do one and removing the old one is the most difficult bit (two person job the way he did it, with a sort of wire saw. However I reckon you want the new one fitting by a grown-up as you only get one chance to get it right, and leaks will be a right pain if you get it wrong.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
olddormouse

Post by olddormouse »

Many thanks for the advice and support, in particular part numbers and prices etc, maybe I'll manage to keep the old thing going for a long while after all. I'd miss it.
sarahjaneking
BXpert
My Cars: 1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch
2006 Silver C8 2.0 Hdi

Post by sarahjaneking »

I'd just like to add my thanks for this thread, it's made my mind up for me to get mine removed and refitted professionally :lol: I need to sort out some rust around the windscreen (it currently rains inside the car :shock: ) and had thought to try and do it with the windscreen in situ or have a go at removing myself - now I hall just wait to get my garage sorted and pay someone :D
1993 Silver BX 1.7 TXD Turbo Hatch (although I don't know where it is - seriously!!!)
1992 Black BX 1.7 TZD Turbo Hatch (we've been apart for 3 years but now reunited)
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I know where they could put their Enema... :shock:

I'm glad you decided to get the BX sorted.

Steve
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Windscreen replacement ??

Post by Tim Leech »

olddormouse wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to BX forums although I've had a few over the years. My BX 19 Diesel Auto has a terminal windscreen crack from top passenger side to lower edge. I don't have windscreen cover.

Haynes helpfully says "If you have the misfortune to need a new window take it to a Citroën dealer" I've just fitted side windows to my C15 van here in France but appreciate the BX windscreen is a whole different ball game. Is it do-able and if so what trouble spots do I need to look out for.

I'm an old timer who used to just lie on my back in the days of yore and simply push windows out but all this bonding is scary. Any advice welcome. Only quote so far is €336 and as I only paid £350 for my lovely car I'm more than a little reluctant.

:oops: [/list]
Why not upgrade your insurance to cover windscreens, wait a few weeks then claim for a new one?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Because it's dishonest, Tim (and puts my recovery premium up too) :wink:

Edit: insurance premium
olddormouse

Post by olddormouse »

....and there we have both sides of the story. As a matter of interest I was insured with windscreen replacement through Ecar in the UK but felt uncomfortable about claiming as the car's likely to stay here in France for as long as it runs. I must also confess though to almost regretting cancellation when I heard how much the replacement was going to be. Now though I've made my (French) bed and have to lie in it I suspect.