Battery tray replacement?

BX Tech talk
Adrian E
BXpert

Battery tray replacement?

Post by Adrian E »

Hi all

Has anyone changed a battery tray on here? Wandering if these are still available from Citroen? It's an '88 16V. It appears there's been a leak of battery acid at some point in the past, and it's now looking less than pretty under the bonnet!

I know they need welding in, so this isn't exactly a simple job, but any info from anyone that's done it gratefully received!

My dad's getting a pic of it over the weekend, so will post up when I have it

Adrian
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'd say it was a pretty simple job, depending on how you do it. The construction is two outrigger from the wheel arch/chassis leg and a shelf on top. If you where to cut the 'shelf' bit off you could VERY easily fashion up another one with little more than a grinder and a hammer. They don't need to be too precise.

I've never seen one for sale on eBlag, which suggests you stand half a chance of buying one from Citroen as they are likely to be rarely sold. I'm sure Citronut will get you the price/part number.

If you can't get a genuine one, then you might be able to get one from another model, or even another make, and shape it to fit. I think Xantia's have them in a similar position.

Alternatively, could you not just patch the one you have?
Adrian E
BXpert

Post by Adrian E »

Hiya

I'm hoping to find out with the aid of a pic - but knowing my dad if he's mentioned it the bloody thing will be hanging on by a thread!!
Adrian E
BXpert

Post by Adrian E »

Hiya

Right, pics. It's clearly suffered some acid corrosion at some point in the past. Looks to have eaten the paint underneath the battery tray as well.

Image Image

Suspect you're right Vanny that a replacement top part shouldn't be that tricky to do. Looks like the area will need to be treated and painted though.....
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Looking at those pictures, the bit's that hold the battery up are still reasonably in tact. I'd be tempted to weld a bridge section in from underneath and clean and paint the whole lot. I've seen much much worse on BX's
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes I agree with vanny, it just needs a localised repair and then thouroughly treating / sealing and paint.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.