Seal on HP pump outlet pipe blown

BX Tech talk
electrokid
1K Away

Seal on HP pump outlet pipe blown

Post by electrokid »

It was supposed to be a nice afternoon trip to Hayling Island - until the STOP light came on and puddles of LHM appeared under the car.

It looks as though the seal has gone on the output pipe of the HP pump - so first question...

Is the seal likely to be the only problem or could there be a blockage in the pressure regulator or anywhere else that could have caused the pressure to rise to the point where the seal would have been pushed out anyway ?

So the seal has gone - it might be the original - so it's probably a good idea for me to replace all the pipe seals - if I remember correctly from other posts there are 3 different sizes so...

How many seals are there altogether of each type and the best / quickest supplier.

Thanks folks.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

Are you sure it is the seal that has failed? as the outlet pipe can fail on the bend as it exits the pump.

I have now seen two pipe failures on the diesel BX versions now at this very location.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

That's very interesting - thanks for the heads-up on that. I didn't actually look at it with the engine running - didn't want to pee any more LHM onto the road than was necessary - I figured that 2 large puddles was enough already :-)

I'll have a look at it today - fortunately I already have a spare pipe ! bought for the pressure monitoring mod I'm thinking about so could be back on the road sooner rather than later - thanks :-)
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

6.35mm seal, as you'll need 2 on the new pipe. I also can't see why the seal would fail. The other sizes (IIRC!) are 3.5mm (most of the pipes) and 4.5mm (I think just for ABS brakes).

GSF do the seals, and maybe if you head to the workshop of a dealer they may let you have a few for nowt!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Kevin B wrote:Are you sure it is the seal that has failed? as the outlet pipe can fail on the bend as it exits the pump.

I have now seen two pipe failures on the diesel BX versions now at this very location.
I tend to agree with Kevin B /\ , as this is a fairly common failure (Rather than a failed seal) especially on Diesels due to the engine resonance/vibration.

The steel high pressure pipe from the HP pump can split/fail prematurely due to a low or a flat Accumulator sphere too !

So if your regulator/valve is clicking constantly or at less than say an 8 second interval I'd get the SPHERE pressure checked if you can (62.5 Bar),
or just change it for a new one rather than risking another burst HP pipe !

Also make sure that ALL the rubber/shrouded 'P' clips are in place and secured, as on the odd occasion I've sen a few BX's which have not had these supporting clips secured.
It's very important that these 'P' clips are supporting the pipe correctly as they help stop the resonance/vibrations especially on the Diesels units which can also cause the pipe to crack/fail !

I hope this may be of help.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Thanks for all the input guys - much appreciated.

Found the problem - pipe cracked - pic to follow. I had a new pipe ! ! but not enough LHM so the plan was to grab some from Halfrauds and then watch the British GP while having some nosh - didn't realise it started early so I'm watching the after-chat - Good to see Mark Webber in 1st even though it meant Lewis taking second :-)

New pipe is fitted and with the lowest position selected on the suspension the STOP light goes out - not sure if the small amount of LHM left in the system is enought to tell but nothing is pissing out now so that looks hopeful. I've got 3 litres of LHM now (33 QUID ! ! ! ) so I'll watch the end of the GP tv then get out and pour some in.
Also make sure that ALL the rubber/shrouded 'P' clips are in place and secured, as on the odd occasion I've seen a few BX's which have not had these supporting clips secured.

It's very important that these 'P' clips are supporting the pipe correctly as they help stop the resonance/vibrations especially on the Diesels units which can also cause the pipe to crack/fail !
A-HA ! ! none fitted - not even rattling around the pipe so I have some more work to do there to make sure it doesn't fail again. The accumulator sphere is the only one that isn't new - had no signs of distress though - tick time is around 30 seconds.

Right - food finished - I'm off to pour some LHM :-)
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

3 litres £33????? well ripped there mate.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

All fixed and back on the road - thanks again for all the advice - without that I'd still be sitting on my fat backside wondering how quickly I could get the seals ! The confidence expressed in the seals led me not to worry when they didn't come out with the pipe - and also led me not to poke about inquisitively and just leave them where they were while fitting the new pipe :-)

It took about 1.8 litres of LHM to refill - presumably about the same amount as I left on the northern side of Langstone Bridge.

I'll get some seals in anyway - I've found Citronut's post with the part numbers and Pleiades phone No.
3 litres £33????? well ripped there mate
Well ripped off indeed - I'd already found out that my local Citroën dealer was cheaper - but they're not open for parts on a Sunday so ripped off it had to be :(

The guy who trucked it home is an independent permanently sub-contracted to the AA - I noticed on their form they have a report section including condition of vehicle - inside / outside... good / fair / poor - bet they don't often see an 18 year old car with both 'good's circled :-)

The end of the pipe wasn't completely broken off on the car - it came apart in my hands while I was jiggling it about to get it out.

2002 C5 HDi SX estate
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

As RxBx said above. I dumped the fluid from a CX pump once due to a flat accumulator sphere. Replaced it......no more trouble. :D
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.