terrible time starting txd

BX Tech talk
bedebill

Post by bedebill »

I cant tell you all about this disaster too much has happened , sometimes she would start , thinking it was the starter at fault i had it tested , its ok , i charged the battery next the ignition switch I tried fitting a push start switch , no good , finally i banged the relay that has been fitted to boost power to the solenoid and then the engine turned over but wouldnt start , it was starting ok with a wire straight to the terminal before i tried fitting the starter switch to by pass the ignition switch . I have bought £50 worth of bits to fit for the mot which looks a long way off at the moment , whilst trying to fit the starter switch i had to experiment stripping the wires till i found the one that went to the starter , maybe i have shorted something , dont know . any advice appreciated , cheers BIll
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

What is the engine size ?
Is it petrol or Diesel ?
Is the battery the new one you needed or still the old one ?
What's the nominal max current of your charger ?
Do you have a voltmeter / multimeter ?
Where are you based ?

You shouldn't need a boost relay - the solenoid is normally specced for 9v minimum and the battery minimum on starting should be no less than 9.5v.

If it's a modern replacement starter motor it shouldn't be bashed - some modern replacements have ceramic permanent magnets instead of the normal powered field - and these can break if you bash them.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

it'll be a diesel.

if you take a lead straight from the +ve terminal on the battery to the solonoid does it turn over?

If it goes over but wont start, next thing to check on the starting front would be to see if there is voltage to the stop solonoid on the fuel pump..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

electrokid wrote:...............
Is it petrol or Diesel ?
'Terrible time starting TXD'

The clue is in the title :wink:

Hi Bill,

Take a look/read thro' these two threads (ONE) and (TWO) hopefully the 'fix' will be one of the items covered you need to check, to sort out your problem !

:D

RxBX
bedebill

terrible times txd

Post by bedebill »

thanks for your replies guys , it is a 1.9 txd , it has been starting with the lead from the battery to the solonoid , i think it may be the stop solonoid , but why would that suddenly fail ? could it have been my tinkering trying to fix up the push starter ? thanks if i cant get it going i will be offering it here for spares .I am in sth devon
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

The clue is in the title
Oh yeah - now and then I'm quite bright :lol:
but why would that suddenly fail
Why should anything !
Is the battery the new one you needed or still the old one ?
What's the nominal max current of your charger ?
Do you have a voltmeter / multimeter ?
The reason I asked these questions was to find out what kit you have so I could guide you through some electrical tests to try to find the problem. Doc's suggestion is on the button though - or you might have lost the feed to the stop solenoid while fiddling about with the wiring.

And I asked...
Where are you based ?
to give us a heads-up if there is anyone nearby able to give you a hand.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
bedebill

re terrible tome starting txd

Post by bedebill »

Hi i have been back to the car , its 9 miles from my house which makes it awkward , there was current at the stop solonoid , when i tried to start it yet again there was just a click so i tried knocking the relay again as that worked last time but not this , i then knocked the box near the battery which i think says pre charger in french the car then turned over and briefly sounded like it was going to fire up . my mechanical abilities i think have been defeated and my frustration levels . This car belonged to a old boss of mine , it failed a mot on brake problems in 08 and has been stood since occasionally getting started and driven on his drive , up until the mot failure it went very well he is a eco warrior and got it to run on bio fuel desiel mix , he gave it to me in return for some work , i am now feeling i wish id had the cash . thanks for your replies Bill
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If the car's been stood some time, chances are it's as simple as a poor connection.

One beauty of the BXD is that the starting system is pretty straight forward.

Carry out the check stated above, also check the solenoid connection of the starter (single yellow) from memory. There is a plug/socket on top of the gearbox that carries the engine wiring harness from the car to the engine, unplug, check and clean these connections.
Down the side of the battery box, you'll see a black box/cover that fits over the positive connections, remove & clean these connections.

I've also known the main battery leads fail, they can get a poor connection inside the lead connector that fits onto the battery.

Remove & clean the main lead at the starter motor.

Sounds like quite a lot to do, but there's only so many things it can be.
:?
bedebill

Post by bedebill »

thanks very much ken , i am feeling your right , there is probably a loose connection and the stop solenoid might be stuck shut . fir now i am standing back from it as it has rather got the better of me . all the best bill
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Hmmm, if it's been run on bio evil fuel then I'd suggest it may well be worth pulling the injector pipes off and have a go at turning it over to see if any fuel is actually being injected.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
bedebill

Post by bedebill »

I have discovered that its the stop solenoid , when i disconnected the wire and reconnected it with the ignition on there was no sound . I cleaned the connectors around the gear box and battery and it turns over . I have also discovered there is rust near the spheres , i poked it and it went straight through therefore this car is now offered for spares , i know the engine is good and all the trimmings are good , there are 3 good tyres 1 is boarder line . I have spent £50 on new spares flexi hoses , pads , wiper, hydraulic pump belt . i Therefore am looking to get £120 for it to cover my outlay . Phone if you like 01364 643117 or 07779636009 cheers Bill I am in sth devon
link for pics
http://screencast.com/t/ODJmZDZlNW
http://screencast.com/t/YzVmMzlj