What is this leak?!

BX Tech talk
PhilGreaves
BXpert
My Cars: CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..

1984 Citroen BX 16TRS restored and now with fully functional power steering..!
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but antisink fitted)

What is this leak?!

Post by PhilGreaves »

Well as the title implies my car has sprung a water leak...from the inside!! Well Citroens do like to be different...

Ive taken some photos and ill upload them after ive posted this.

All i know is its develpoped since we got the car back from the garage and to be fair to the car it has just done 400 miles in 4 days ( :shock: ).

Anyway the leak is in the drivers side footwell on the gearbox/far side and is coming from a black pipe which is coming out of/attatched to the interior plastic.

The liquid appears to be water but is a yellowy/browny colour.

I know youll do your best but please help me because if my dad figures out its broken he'll go on about his Audi being superior german build quality etc!!

Thanks
Phil

regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but anti-sink fitted)
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Heater matrix my friend. Not good.

It's a bit of a pig to do but not impossible.

I believe i have a spare in the garage if required
I have zero patience for your tedium.
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

oh god..dont say that lol.

For one thig i thought it had been done (?).

my mechanics away on holiday in France and im not sure if the other mechanics there can do it..or even if theyre free...and theyre quite a way away.

How hard is it to do yourself? (i have the haynes manual and erm...thats it!!). Is there anything i should do in the mean time? Obviously ive dried the wiring off and dont intend on driving it anywhere.

And you are quite right i dont have a spare!!

oh dear not looking good for the ol' bx... :cry:
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

It's not actually that difficult. I've done a ZX and a BX and the BX was over in a couple of hours. The ZX took 2 days as ALL the dashboard had to come out. The Haynes is pretty accurate on this if I remember correctly and it's easier because it's clear that the aim is to get the matrix out so you keep reoving stuiff that's in the way. Steering column shroud and steering column, mostly. The part itself isn't expensive.

One remark - when you get to putting the new matrix in, it looks as if it won't go, but it will.

It's not too bad a job, honestly.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Actually I fear it's worse than that :( If the water is coming from where the 2 drips can be seen in photo 1, it's the heater tap itself, not the matrix :cry:

The matrix is a fairly straight forward job, but the tap is something else :cry:

I have a complete heater unit out of car in the garage at the moment which I can photograph for you if it will be any help. :(
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

oh god. lol.

Right is there any way to tell for certain if its the heater matrix or the heater tap? Or could i drive it to someone who could tell me which it is? Would have to be local for obvious reasons; im at leeds.

How bad is it ken if its the heater tap rather than the matrix? In terms of parts (?) availability and difficulty in changing it? What tools would i need?

Thanks for your help guys...i feel as though im not alone...
regards
Phil & Earl

Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Phil,

Well, my money would be on a leaking heater matrix.

The pivot shaft with the two drips on the bottom is attached to one of the transfer flaps, and it is possible for a leaking matrix to drip onto the transfer flap and find it's way to that pivot.

To eliminate or confirm a leaking tap, dry all the existing drips and wet areas, then start the engine till it reaches running temperature, then operate all the flaps, and observe the area.

Strong light and mirror may prevent a stiff neck.

Good luck.
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

ok ive had another look. I tied to take some photos but its too inaccessible.

The black pipe is actually bone dry on the inside and the drip is from a large white plastic pipe/tube above it. Right from the join i think (its screwed togther. The water drips from this down the plastic facia and around the black pipe/pivot mechanism.

However there also appears to be some moisture, although no drips around the black plastic tubing above it...

ill try again to get some pictures and see if i can find a better torch for a better view of the white plastic tube and black plastic above it.
regards
Phil & Earl

PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

right o had another look by wedging my head between the pedals and the facia panel and using my 'c8 credit card torch'..

The water is definitely comnig from the white box which appears to be clipped in and is directly above the black pipe. It bubbles up there and then drips down. (the white box being above the plastic facia panel which reads 'Chausson'- shouldve stuck to buses i think!!)

The white tubing is then screwed into the another piece of white piping towards the bulkhead.

So i take it then that this is the heater matrix (although i thought it had been done :?: ).

If so are these readily available new? Although i had a very kind offer of one from a member if one is readily available locally then i might get one for the sake of expedience.

If so where, how much etc. Also what equipment/tools would i need to do this job myself? Already it looks liking unscrewing bits to gain access but are any sockets etc required? I dont have many so i dont want to start unless i know i have the tools to finish can finish....

Thanks very much guys for all your help it really is much appreciated.
regards
Phil & Earl

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I know someone here in Wakefield that currently has a BX breaking for parts that had a new matrix very recently. I'm sure he'll let you take it for a small consideration. But you'll have to be fairly quick as it's supposed to be gone this week.

It's also the best way to learn how it goes back in, if you remove it yourself. :)
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

hi Ken thanks very much.

I take it you too now think its the matrix as opposed to the tap?? Does it matter that this other unit isnt new!? (i dont want the same problem again in a few months time.)

Also the heater tap only gets a brief mention in the haynes manual so do i just leave that well alone or clean it or even replace that too? If its liable to go in the near future and requires the matrix to be pulled out then maybe its better that replace it now??

Wakefield sounds perfect. (pm sent about cost, lcoation, availability of other parts etc.)

Cant really believe im even considering of doing it myself to be honest, ill just have to take my time and get my mate to check it afterwards.
regards
Phil & Earl

Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

(although i thought it had been done Question ).
You stated this twice. Why did you think this had been 'done' and what do you mean by 'done'?

I have an entire blog/thread on here outlining the stuff 'done' to this car in MY short ownership of it but no mention of the heater matrix.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Trust me, it's easily do-able :)

PM replied to. :)
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

I stated it twice to get a response either way. By 'done' i meant 'replaced'. I have read the thread Graeme on three different occasions, i guess i must just be thinking of something else, i tend to read lots of things.

By the way where were you at the rally??! I thought you were going?! Shame you didnt there was lots there to see do and people to talk to for example i had a very interesting chat with Nigel Wild.

Rather annoyed its done it now..lol after the service...lol would’ve been fine before as it would have been Graham's problem...tee hea.

Thanks very much Ken. Ken did raise the point that the s/h one is on a late reg mark 2, would this be the same part as a mark 1?

Also can someone please tell me what tools/equipment ill need to do the job; i dont want to get half way through and find i haven’t got the right things. Or go to Wakefield and not be able to remove said component. It would be rather :oops:

Ive been looking in the forum for a more detailed walk through than the one in the haynes manual does this exist or am i looking in vein?

Theres a bit in the haynes manual (brown version)

Thanks guys for your continued assistance
Phil

P.S yes ken it really is a mark 1 just ask Tim; he's driven it and will tell you it really is a mark 1. Or if your ever near me then come and see for yourself!
regards
Phil & Earl

Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Fair enough - I couldn't make the rally at the 11th hour (much to my disappointment) due to some new personal crises :x

I still have your door glass/ rubbers of course and I should reach the Stratford rally in September.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'