What is this leak?!

BX Tech talk
PhilGreaves
BXpert
My Cars: CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..

1984 Citroen BX 16TRS restored and now with fully functional power steering..!
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but antisink fitted)

Post by PhilGreaves »

aye ok, it was pretty good, honestly not sure if we're going to stratford. I may be able to persuade the parents to go in the xantia...with the promise of tim's presence and a carb i may be able to swing it.....

Ken a while ago you asked if i wanted a photo of the whole set up as you have one in the garage; any chance of a photo of the heater matrix itself? i.e. the part im removing. Yeah i know im a novice asknig toom any questions about a job you lot could do in 10 mins :wink: but you know paitence is a virtue :lol:

anyway i have texted your friend ken so in the mean time id better go find some tools....
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but anti-sink fitted)
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

PhilGreaves wrote:Yeah i know im a novice asknig toom any questions about a job you lot could do in 10 mins
Not in a million years sunshine! It isn't by any means an "easy" job. You can do it yourself if you're methodical and trust Mr. Haynes (for a change). It's only "easier" once you've done it 3 times... or is it 4 now?... Anyway, skinned knuckles and lots of swearing still prevail :lol:

I have zero patience for your tedium.
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

aarrgh!! "the number you have dialled is not in use" erm have you get any other number Ken?

failing that has anyone else got one? I think JayW said he had one? (if so could you pm me with price inc post and packing etc and ill get a cheque off to you straight away.)

Its just im getting rather desperate as theres now a risk of my sister finding out at which point ill get in one ear "told you so citroens arent built as well as audis, mines on the original clutch" from my dad and then from my sister "stupid citreon [yeah she pronounces it like that]" from my ford loving sister. i cant stand the embarasment!!

Thanks very much guys for all your help (sorry for the endless questions!!)
Phil
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Nope :( the number I sent you is correct, I've just dialed it myself now with no problem :?
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I'll check the garage in the morning and if it's there i'll stick it in the post tomorrow 1st class GRATIS.

PM me an address.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Packed & ready to send. Should be with you tomorrow.

That's one more bit of junk gone, just half a garage left... :roll:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Snap! My GT has developed a similar problem, I tried some bars leaks (I know I know but it was the day before France) and it cured it for a week or so.

Turn the heater slider to COLD and it will slow it down until you can get it done.

Mine has stopped leaking now but I havent used the heater.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Brings back memories of my ZX and my first ever foray into spannering....I think I used up all of SWMBO's supply of patience in one weekend.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

hmm i dont know what to say Ken (other than thanks for your help of course!!). I texted the number first and then after not receiving anything for hours phoned and thats when i got the above. And i checked the number several times with your pm...so hmm..odd! All i would say is it looks as though im sorted. (thanks very much JayW!!) I would be interested in a few other odds and ends (rubber surrounds for door glass and parcel shelf cord), so ill try again..once i find my phone..ahem...

the garage seem to be a bit concerned with using a second hand one (has it been used before though??!). But the way i see it is it cant be any older than the existing one thats in and even if it just lasts till winter it will be more conveinient- the garage is quite far away so i really want to just put it in once over winter for all the major work. At the mo its on the street looking rather sad....

It really cant be any worse than our garage; which my dad has managed to fill with amazingly 'useful' items :roll: ...(theres no point in me saying what as youd never believe me!!)

The really wierd thing is that my dad hasnt made any comments about Audis being better than citroens...hmmm..suspicious....(the Audi must be broken..again :lol: )

Thanks guys, ill keep you posted
Phil
regards
Phil & Earl

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Could it be that the guy's phone block numbers that aren't already stored on it? I believe you can do that with some phones to block spam phone calls.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

A good secondhand one's as good as a new one.

I pressure tested it before i sent it and it's fine!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Strange that, :? he told me he'd received a text from you to say that you're going tomorrow :? :?

If you still plan on going, send me your number and I'll get him to give you a ring. :)
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

The heater matrix in question is about 7 months old :wink: The one from Ken's friend,that is
PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

wow id never heard of that matt...i should probably sign up for it myself!!

Well ken i texted asking if i could come on thursday and after receiving nothing back and being unable to get into contact with with by phoning to get a time, directions etc i presumed i couldnt come! hmm annoying as i need other parts. Cant go today as parents are now busy and ive got a ton of forms to do (job application forms). But could go tomorrow as there are a few other bits i could do with; maybe he has them? (see pm)

anyway just waiting for the post...
regards
Phil & Earl

PhilGreaves
BXpert

Post by PhilGreaves »

well part arrived (thank you jay) and i attempted to fit yesterday. But i realised after following Haynes (semi useless!!) diligently that i couldnt fit the new one. :oops: yes yes let the laughing commence... :lol: am i gonna get thrown off the forum now for mucking up a simple job?!!

I dont have the right sort of equipment; i could get to all the screw, retaining clips etc etc. But one of the four retaining bolts (upper corner thats furthest away) was inacessible to me with my very limited equipment- most of which id found in my dads old toolbox along with one french headlamp bulb (probably GS/A).

Ive just seen my mate who came round to check it over, just to make sure id put everything back correctly and to help me fill it up again (problem with clip on drainage hose). We did make one slight alteration; no anti freeze in it now as my friend rekons its better that way. Also he had a look round it and rekons its ok!! lol high praise indeed as he has lots of experience restoring things and gave me some pointers on the restoration. He did offer to try to get me some tools to complete the job but in all honesty i havent got the strenth to try again (long term health problem renders my leg/hip/back useless at times). lol the car may be no more broken than before.

Anyway at least i can say i had a go and i do have the part for the garage to fit and obviously learnt a lot. I met/talked to some interesting people along the way. Also when i went to see kens friend i got lots of other useful bits- rubber, trim etc. So all in all not a waste of time by any means.

Thanks very much for all of your help everyone (especially Jay and Ken)- im sure i wouldnt have got that far without it.

Phil (whose now semi immobile himself and will hang his head in shame at his complete and utter failure :lol:
regards
Phil & Earl