BX Tech talk
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

No antifreeze.. better that way???

It's only better that way so you don't waste it when the garage has to do the job but make sure you refill with antifreeze when the job is done. Prefferably a 50/50 antifreeze/water mix. (distilled if you can get it). Besides protecting your engine from freezing leading to cracked block etc. running with antifreeze and the additives it contains keeps the cooling system clean, stops the engine from corroding internally + raises the boiling point of the coolant.
Running without antifreeze could lead to problems in the future.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Old chinese proverb

Man who does not use antifreeze in cooling system is man who buys a new car quite often :wink:
PhilGreaves
BXpert
My Cars: CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..

1984 Citroen BX 16TRS restored and now with fully functional power steering..!
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but antisink fitted)

Post by PhilGreaves »

i wasnt sure about it but my mate states that its better this way in the circumstances. He says the last places you want antifreeze are 1. your face. 2. your footwell. At the end of the day my mate says its the best thing to do; its going into the garage in a few weeks time just as soon as im better basically*. So certainly theres is no issue of it freezing!! Im sure the garage will have no problem putting antifreeze in it....just 400 miles after its service... :roll:

Dunno if its worth mentioning but some seem concerned about my mates advice although i put originally that im 21 that doesnt mean my mate is as i have friends across all age ranges. So to reassure you all he's had over 50 years working in the motor industy as pretty much everything on everything so when he says 'do this' i tend to just do it. So dont worry its in good highly qualified hands- he used to be a HM Vehicle Inspector. And he kept our original bx running too so has experience with them.

In fact I would ask him to restore the bx for me but he hasnt done car restoration in years on account of being busy restoring his 1948 leyland coach :!:

If you think no antifreeze is bad then id better not tell you about the time we ran our xud Xantia sinker aircooled...(my mate didnt approve of that by the way)

Thanks for all your help and ill keep you all posted (have a new interior now!)
Phil

*Does the BX Club technical section fix/offer advice on humans too??! :lol:
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but anti-sink fitted)
PhilGreaves
BXpert
My Cars: CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..

1984 Citroen BX 16TRS restored and now with fully functional power steering..!
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but antisink fitted)

Post by PhilGreaves »

Yes was better that way- not in my face not in the footwell.

Had a phone call from the garage today. The guy fitting the heater matrix was wondering if there are two versions?

Malcolm states with upmost certainty that the angle of the pipes on my old (offwhite/cream) matrix is different to the angle on both of the new ones. Due to this there is a 5-6mm discrepency on the new ones. To quote him "i can make it fit but it may not be water tight. Are you sure that it isnt mark 1 specific? "

whats the feeling? is it defo the same part? Has anyone replaced a mk1 matrix recently?

Thanks
Phil
(last job..honest!!)
P.S no im not attemtping it again myself; it crippled me last time :lol:
regards
Phil & Earl

1984 Citroen BX 16 TRS mk 1 "Earl" restored sept 2011 and now with fully functional power steering..!

CCC X**tia Columnist!! forgive me for I was led astray..
1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD SX (Jan 1994, no airbags but anti-sink fitted)