Oil leak - possible head gasket, a few other issues BX19TXD

BX Tech talk
R9UKE
Confirmed BX'er

Oil leak - possible head gasket, a few other issues BX19TXD

Post by R9UKE »

Hi!

Well the BX is running great, I can't believe how many looks this car gets, I thought the Renault Vel Satis was the most attention seeking car I'd ever drive.

Anyway - after 5 days this is what is left in the driveway.

My mechanic had a look today. He thinks it may be the rocker seal which he will charge £80 for. But said it could possibly be the head gasket. The bad thing is I think he may be right. After topping up the oil, I checked the level on the dipstick, there looked to be streaks of water in it.

Has anybody had the head gasket done on their BX? How much did it skin you?

Anyway, he has told me to have the engine steam washed, then the exact trail of the oil will be apparent.

Some electrical issues. I pointed out the brake lights and the erratic fuel gauge in a previous thread - advice has been given but not yet put into practise!

Both switches on the passenger door do nothing, but the window goes down with the control from the drivers door. I'm guessing a connection has worked loose, and why on earth are there two switches?

Also the little screen which shows any doors open beside the coin tray does nothing. I've had it out, replaced all the bulbs that need done and still nothing. Fuse?

Have a look at this photo -

The toggle switch I'm guessing is for the front fog lights. However they do not work! Were front fogs standard on the TXD or are these aftermarket?

Now the controls beside that? Electric mirrors? This car has manually adjustable mirrors so what the hell is this for!?

Oh and finally, being 18 I'm having HUGE trouble getting insurance seeing as I am keeping the Mégane and having two cars. Traders insurance would be good as I do buy and sell, but my age is a big barrier. What about the classic car insurance route?

Sorry for all the questions... but I know there's no better place to ask them :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Try Footman James or Adrian Flux for limited mileage Classic policies - although I don't know if the car is old enough to qualify?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
catsinthewelder
The Big J

Post by catsinthewelder »

The problem with a classic car policy might be more to do with your age than the cars, most of them seem to expect that only the over 25s drive classic cars :x

I don't know about the switch on the right but the one on the left looks like a DIY job. Could be for front fog lights if they are aftermarket but could be pretty much anything. If you unscrew the ring thats holding it in then you can pull it out to check if its still got wires attatched and if they look familier / become live in combination with other things being switched on.
Ex BXer
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

The buttons on the right control the passenger side mirror on mine (whereas the driver's side is manual).
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

There are several different types of head gasket failure.
Water in the oil & oil leaking externally are 2 different symptoms of head gasket failure that don't necessarily occur together so don't automatically connect the 2 as definate head gasket failure.
Although some engines leak oil via the head gasket when they do it is usually a slight slow dribble + I don't think BX diesels are prone to that problem.
Water in the oil can be the head gasket leaking between a water gallery and an oil gallery but streaks on the dipstick may just as easily be condensation in the oil often found on cars that are overdue an oil change and are only used for short distance journeys.
Combustion gases leaking into the cooling system causing the engine to pressurise and overheat is the big problem head gasket fault which I take it you haven't got.
So although I can't deffinately say your head gasket has not gone looking at the amount of oil it is more likely to be your rocker cover gasket that is leaking and perhaps an overdue oil change.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
R9UKE
Confirmed BX'er

Post by R9UKE »

So although I can't deffinately say your head gasket has not gone looking at the amount of oil it is more likely to be your rocker cover gasket that is leaking and perhaps an overdue oil change.
Just what I wanted to hear... I'm probably being pessimistic.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Also, £80 seems a little on the dear side for a £5 seal and half an hour's work...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Wooscary wrote:The buttons on the right control the passenger side mirror on mine (whereas the driver's side is manual).
That's interesting... it's exactly the same as the Series 1 XM door mirror switch, in which it does both door mirrors (the smaller rocker switch selects either mirror, with the centre position "off" so the mirrors don't get moved by accident.)

I thought it would do the same in the BX.. odd that it doesn't. Still, I have manual mirrors on my BX, so wouldn't know... :oops:
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Ray, that switch does exactly as you've described in your xm as it does in the bx, but only if you have 2 electric mirrors fitted. I presume that in this case only one of the mirrors is electric & the other is manual??? This isn't standard fit in txd's as far as i'm aware, its in gti's, valvers & tzd turbo's & possibly the odd few ltd edition models with highspec??? Again, txd spec doesn't include front fogs, so must have been retrofitted as its not normally a switch, but a rather largish square button that from memory illuminates green in colour.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Yes, exactly. There is a rocker selector for choosing which mirror. Unless you have a great big handle on one of them, then you have to do it yourself. :)

The position of that switch for the fog lamps is interesting to note for me however as I have holes in my bumper which are just crying out for some retrofitting and wasn't sure where the switch might be best.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ray, the XM switch is very similar (looks identical) but if plugged into a BX with twin electric mirrors will operate them with reverse logic (tilt up when you press down)
The switch fitted to single electric mirror BXs will not operate two mirrors without some internal modifications (fiddly but possible).

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

mat_fenwick wrote:Ray, the XM switch is very similar (looks identical) but if plugged into a BX with twin electric mirrors will operate them with reverse logic (tilt up when you press down).
Isn't that what we'd expect from Citroen? ;)
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

My TZD has exactly that arrangement for the mirrors - the switch is the same as the one on my old ZX, which had \'leccy mirrors both sides, but the BX has a manual mirror for the driver and an electric one for the passenger side. It makes perfect sense, as an arrangement, but it\'s a shame they left the selector switch in place! I\'d have just left it out, rather than having a pointless and slightly confusing switch there.

Think hard before steam cleaning your engine - you may find yourself with a nice shiny engine and some electrical accessories which no longer work!
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

Also, £80 seems a little on the dear side for a £5 seal and half an hour's work...
I would say so! This item is easily sourced from the likes of GSf and Euro carparts, and its an easy job.

This item is the number 1 source of oil leaks on these engines (due to the gasket going hard over time), just be sure to put a new one on with a smear of silicon sealer as I have even seen new gaskets leak, also be sure to check that the fibre washers are still present on the cam cover holding down bolts, as these are another oil leak source.

If after this the oil leak persists the next likely candidates are the cam oil seals or timing belt end crank seal, the non timing belt end of the camshaft is an easy change. However the timing belt end is best done when you change a timing belt.
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

stuart_hedges wrote:it\'s a shame they left the selector switch in place! I\'d have just left it out, rather than having a pointless and slightly confusing switch there.
True, but then they'd have to use a different switch, and that costs more money :)
Ray

www.citroencarclub.co.uk