LHM everywhere - mini-octopus

BX Tech talk
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Ian
I think as John say's it's the small octopus that is the problem and as john say's it is best to fot new.
It's a good job that didn't go on the Bxagon last year i dread to think how much LHM you would have needed to get round all the country's you visited.
Glad to see you are still keeping the Green tiger going.

All the best Kermit
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks folks. My main worry with replacing it is where those two small pipes go to exactly. Can anyone advise? Is it a real pig of a job? As long as I don't drop the suspension, she doesn't lose any. However, the struts were a bit creaky, so I had been dropping the car to try and exercise them, hence losing lots of fluid.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Ian
If as you say it only leaks when you drop the suspension it is definately a low pressure return pipe so should be fiddly but not as bad as a high pressure pipe replacement.
Not personally 100% where they connect to but i am sure if you get it on a ramp it should be easy enough to do.

Regards Kermit/Phil
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I might have to take the BX for a 300 mile road trip this weekend, so I'm going to have to hope that it'll hold...

After that, it's going into a garage for a starter motor (been meaning to replace it since I got the car 13,000 miles ago...), mini-octopus and an ARB link.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hmmm. I'm faced with a 400 mile road trip this weekend (further than I first thought!) and I'd like to take the BX. But I used it today, and there was a small puddle under it within minutes of parking up back home. Do I risk it?
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

I'd suggest that you check if it leaks while it's running at normal height or whether it's just the return is it's sinking after switch-off...

Mine only leaks after parking, not while running...
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That's the thing - it's a very un-sinky car (especially compared to the CX I've also got). S'pose there's always some sinkage though. I'll conduct further tests...

...and then probably discover that we're not going to Wales at all! :roll:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Some news to report. My tame mechanic has changed the starter motor (about time that was done...) and repaired the leak with a new section of hose - one that doesn't contain more copper pipe than rubber...

That's pleasing as he's been able to solve the leak very cheaply and easily. Maybe I should have had a better look at it myself...

However, as well as a worn ARB link, he's also discovered a mullered wishbone bush, so that should sort out the seriously clunky front end too.