lhm level

BX Tech talk
mds141
Over 2k

lhm level

Post by mds141 »

Hi all newbie with valver what should the level be in the sight glass handbook says yellow disc should be between two red marks overfilled mine y-day lhm pouring out of main tank!! syringed excess out and now all ok noticed a small clear plastic pipe running towards sphere on o/s is this overflow pipe doesnt seem to connect to anything! cheers mark. :? :?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Yes, that sounds like an overflow.

The level testing is done with the suspension set to high, I believe. You may not have taken enough out to accommodate fluid return when the suspension is set to low (or just decides to sink overnight anyway) !
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

TBH, i've always lowered the suspension fully then fill the tank up to the top rib of the tank. It's not going to overflow and will give you some in reserve if you have any leaks....

Same goes for the engine oil really, always keep it just slightly overfull, especially if you're intending ragging it as deserves... :wink:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Needs to be on high to be have the correct level filled, if its in low then there will be potentially too much & it'll probably piss out from somewhere, doesnt cause any harm, just wastes money though....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mds141
Over 2k

doh!!

Post by mds141 »

:D thanks guys i'll get the hang of this citroen thing eventually. must say this is one of the most active forums i've ever used. cheers. :D
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

JayW wrote:TBH, i've always lowered the suspension fully then fill the tank up to the top rib of the tank. It's not going to overflow and will give you some in reserve if you have any leaks....

Same goes for the engine oil really, always keep it just slightly overfull, especially if you're intending ragging it as deserves... :wink:
What stupid bit of advice that is.

The only thing thats kept to the full mark is the Fuel Tank.

Overfilling anything is not done for a reason, if you want to ignore that then you wont have the vehicle for a long time.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

If you have a valver without a baffled sump slightly over filling the sump is preferable to oil surge on corners.

That endures you wont have the car a long time, or at least a very often empty wallet.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

kiwi wrote:
JayW wrote:TBH, i've always lowered the suspension fully then fill the tank up to the top rib of the tank. It's not going to overflow and will give you some in reserve if you have any leaks....

Overfilling anything is not done for a reason, if you want to ignore that then you wont have the vehicle for a long time.
Erm, ever owned a Valver?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

JayW wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Well that was not posted in your reply.

My referance refered to mechanically sound vehicles
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I've often wondered about how critical over filling the lhm reserve is... after all the reserve itself isn't pressurized so over filling shouldn't cause anything to blow. Having said that, why would Citroen include the level indicator if the level wasn't important?

Oil level can be critical, very. I once took the works van on holiday (one of those big Citroen jobbies) and the oil level light came on somewhere in the New Forest so I dutifully bought some oil and started topping up until I realised that the level indicator was faulty. Started the van and a couple of hundred yards down the road the engine started revving uncontrollably and I couldn't turn it off using the ignition switch, so me and my mate jumped out sharpish and waited until the engine made a large bang and backfired an oil slick out of the exhaust and all over a shiny new car!

The RAC man explained that the engine was running on the lubricant rather than the diesel.

The van drove fine after he drained the excess oil out.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

scarecrow wrote:I've often wondered about how critical over filling the lhm reserve is... after all the reserve itself isn't pressurized so over filling shouldn't cause anything to blow. Having said that, why would Citroën include the level indicator if the level wasn't important?
I suppose everything HAS to have a "Fill" level. It's not always relevent. I Mean, fuel gauges will read FULL but you can still get another 2 gallons in them... Doesn't stop people brimming their tanks!

It's like many things, manufacturers may say one thing but when a car's 20 odd years old you tend to get a bit more used to their foibles than the manufacturers ever did...

Hence, after owning several Valvers over numerous years, experience (and general owners concensus) is that if you don't have a baffled sump (which very few are lucky enough to) then as an absolute minimum your oil level should be kept at the MAX level on the dipstick and if you're intending hooning it about properly then being a bit over can only help against oil surge.

As for other engines, feck knows, follow the manufactures guidelines (unless you've learnt better).
kiwi wrote:
JayW wrote:
Well that was not posted in your reply.

My referance refered to mechanically sound vehicles
The original topic was about a Valver he's just bought, hence me replying with my experience of owning one.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think if you guys read the handbook you'll find it says quite specifically "Do not overfill the engine oil."
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

This is true, but since 3 of the press valvers suffered oil surge when less than 6 months old, and having seen first hand how easy it is to achieve oil surge in a D6C / DFW then a litre over the full mark is a good idea, it causes no harm since the level is still lower than the crank and therefore causes no crank drag and gives you a substantially reduced risk of wrecking the engine inside 2 seconds.

The original design was flawed, hence, either you fit a baffled sump, overfill it by a litre, or prepare yourself for regular engine rebuilds if you like riving the car hard, and it's pointless having a valver and driving it like a NA diesel.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Do i need to overfill on my txd :wink:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

LOL, noooooo!
Diesels dont like overfilled sumps!

Although, I hear your driving style is "spirited" so ya know.... you clearly need a valver in your life!