Oil in air filter, plus oil leak?

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Oil in air filter, plus oil leak?

Post by Wooscary »

Obviously this kind of thing is asked all the time, but I can't find anything specific about oil in air filters, so I'll start my question with that:

The only time I've ever had oil in an air filter was with my first car where I got a little carried away and over filled the oil and a fair amount of it made itself comfortable in the filter.

The TZD has not been overfilled while I've had it, but there is definitely some lovely sludgy oil in the bottom of the air box and a bit in the filter. Should it be there?

The oil leak is really starting to annoy me, I'm going to attempt some photographs below. You'll have to be gentle with me, as I'm no expert and don't have a Haynes to identify parts/what parts are called. It seems to be originating from what I think is the rocker cover and around the injectors. It then obviously goes everywhere below and behind that point, but I think that's the highest point.

1b by Wooscary

So, if anyone has any thoughts that would be great. Would a oily air filter also account in part for the noticeable amount of smoke when accelerating?

Many thanks

Martin
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Most likely this regulator has failed causing a pressure build up in the crankcase, No3 in the picture, you'll find it on the end of the intercooler in the breather pipes on the turbo cars. Citroen part number 0361 58 about £30 in the dealers.

That is of course if the piston rings/bores aren't worn out. Gibbo.

Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Thanks. I'm not quite sure which half of my question you are providing an answer for however. And cannot figure out where that diagram matches up under the bonnet.

Looking at that, the part doesn't look especially hard to fit, and isn't the most expensive thing ever.

Would there be any other symptoms if it were worn rings/bores? The car isn't sluggish, and actually after taking the air filter out yesterday and scooping the small amount of sludge out of the bottom of the box, the amount of smoke seems to have dropped. Could be coincidence of course.

Any other thoughts gladly received. I really want to get this car to 300000 on only engine number 2! :D

Cheers

Martin
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Here's another picture that shows the alternative position as on the turbo engine No 9 in this pic, there's also an alternative part number 1421 C3 depending on which engine number.

Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Ah now that looks more familiar. Thanks.

Is there any way of knowing by visual inspection if that part
has indeed died?

Sorry if this all seems really obvious.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Nope! trial and error is the only way but I wouldn't mind taking a bet on it. Gibbo.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I should have added, the job of this regulator is to maintain a negative pressure in the crankcase so you need to also ensure that the hoses connected to it are in good condition i.e. not split at the joints or bunged up with sludge. Gibbo.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Ok, fair enough. I'll take a look.

And are you saying this is the cause of the leak or the oil in the air filter?

Cheers.
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It causes raised pressure in the crankcase which blows oil out from anywhere it can get, usually the most obvious being the camcover gasket so oil on the top of the head and down the back of the engine sometimes mis-diagnosed as the head gasket.
As you know a little oil spreads a long way. Gibbo
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Ok, it's all starting to make more sense now. Really appreciate the help.

One more thing for now, is it now necessary to replace the camcover gasket aswell?
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Took that regulator off, and the associated pipes (what a refreshingly easy job), there wasn't much gunk to speak of, just a bit of oil, which I've cleaned out. So next up is to get hold of a new one, and I guess clean out all the pipes properly.

Put in a new air filter as an interim for a few days as the old one was a bit unpleasant, and the smoking under acceleration has disappeared.

Cheers for the explanations.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Here's another picture that shows the alternative position as on the turbo engine No 9 in this pic, there's also an alternative part number 1421 C3 depending on which engine number.

Hello again.

I've been on to Citroen (Me "it's for a BX", him "oh god"). They seem to have both of those codes, the 1421 C3 is a tenner cheaper.

Where do I find my engine number, and do you know which corresponds to which?

Thanks.
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Is there a database somewhere of engine numbers/codes?

With the MOT next monday, I'm thinking it might be best to get this part ordered and fitted asap, as oil seeping down the front of the engine block doesn't look brilliant? :).

Does anyone know if it will now be necessary to replace the cam cover gasket, is it permanently breached, or does it reseat itself once the pressure goes back to normal?

Just to add another thing - could this part being dud be causing a kind of airy hissy (but not like escaping air or liquid really) noise when accelerating and at speeds over 45-50mph?
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This should show where the numbers are, as for the hissing noise it shouldn't be from this, could it be a belt noise?

Image[/img][/url]
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Finally got Citroen to speak to me about this part, picked it up today and fitted within 5 mins. New air filter, all pipes cleaned out.

Only annoyance was dropping a screwdriver between the fan and rad. That's a tight space to get at.

Many thanks for your help Gibbo.

I'm going to post up a video to show the weird noise I was talking about shortly.