Oil in air filter, plus oil leak?

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Those bolts! I was so careful with them after the warnings in this thread, and then managed to replace them afterwards with the bloody ones that hold the front of the intercooler on. Same thread/size just shorter, so doesn't seem to have done any damage. :D

As far as tightness goes, I don't have a torque wrench, but is it just a case of sensing it? I'm certainly not going to use a bit of scaff pole for leverage.

The good thing that's come from all this is I can now take all that gubbins off in a pretty short time. Roll on head gasket failure!

Cheers.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Without a torque wrench you'll just have to use your judgement...they do need to be more than finger tight though!

I wonder if they were a little on the loose side the first time? Either that or perhaps the gasket sealant wasn't uniform and left a gap where oil could work its way through?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I'm of the opinion that the instructions on the sealant were too open to interpretation, saying that it had to be left to go tacky for 10 mins before assembly.

If it hadn't been tight enough, would that explain the blown/split gasket? (We are talking the whole end of the rubber was torn and had let out a good spray of oil).
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

That sounds more like the bolts were too tight or the sealant has made the gasket (seal) slip. Personally I never use sealant on rubber/soft gaskets. I would only ever use gasket sealant when NO gasket is being used. I've seen sealant cause more leaks than it ever cures. If I have any doubts about pitted surfaces I am happy to use a bit of blue Hylomar which has proven itself to me over the years and I have great confidence in.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

The gasket sealant was the most revolting product I've ever used,
Was that the green Hermetite 'used by Rolls Royce' and smells like congealed cat's pee ? Usually works ok if you're downwind :-) I normally use silicone rubber which works very well as long as you don't get too much on the inside of whatever you're fixing which can break off into the water / oil ways.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

It was blue, but it wasn't Hylomar. It set really quickly, and at no point did it look like it was going to stay attached in any meaningful way, other than as a residue that I had to remove.

I'll try without as the surfaces don't look bad at all.

Cheers for the thoughts, I'll report back.