Wishbones/bushes

BX Tech talk
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've seen the shafts worn when they've been insufficiently tightened and left to rattle away for years. Gibbo.
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

When I worked in a citroen garage , I did loads of these and bought my own toolset for changing them with the aid of a press.
A hacksaw was used to ' modify ' the top hat bush to get the special tool to work easier.

When rebuilt ,the long bolt and nut should be tightened in the normal ride height position so as not to strain the new bushes.
Land Rover Discovery TD5
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Wishbones/bushes

Post by Tinkley »

I know this is an old thread, but here goes. Getting the bushes out I personally hacksawed through both the mushroom one (which had left the outer stuck in the arm and detached its rubber) and through the plain one too. Then drifted out with a flat round punch. The wishbone itself was firmly held in a large soft (wood) jaw vice. The orientation of the hacksaw cut was such that if it just went through the outer bush it was in the thickest part of the wishbone thus not compromising any strength.

Somewhere I found a post from Max Greenwood saying how hard it was. It is fairly tricky but reasonable force can be used. I found it was beneficial to re hacksaw the slot in the plain bush a couple of times as it tightened up on the cut slot.

My own personal guess is they (the bushes) are good for around 100k maybe more if done in a short time period. The ones I removed had done 117k in 18 years.