14 Tu wont start

BX Tech talk
richardd1652
1K Away

14 Tu wont start

Post by richardd1652 »

Started when i got it but now doesnt seem to have a spark.Wonder if its ignition module or coil? Any ideas?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Heard of the ignition modules going on these before, its where I would start.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I take it you've gone down the wet-start road, Richard? Cleaned out the dizzy cap, etc, etc checked for loose wires...
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the coil on the TU is known to fail on these,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Thanks Guys.Im going to swap them in turn off another 14Tu and see what happens.It occasionally tried to fire on 1 but after taking out all the plugs and cleaning them,then dizzy cap i tried plugging one into a lead and arcing off the block but no spark.The car has sat for about 4 years and drove off the recovery truck the day before.Ill try the coil first then if nothing happens then the module.
Will be in contact for further ideas or results,
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
slimlavud

Post by slimlavud »

Hi Richard
Best thing is to buy mine and then you can have a good time swapping bits over! You have a pm.
Seriously, I always get a hot air gun and gently warm up first the ignition module/CDI box, try ti and see if a spark is restored, then warm the coil, try it again, Then warm the ignition trigger/pick up on the engine. I have found, on many cars and motorcycles, that the trigger/pickup will start to break down when cold (sometimes when hot instead). For a hot breakdown test, I play a CO2 extinguisher over the same parts to cool them right down and check again. Not very scientific but it has worked for me many times.
slimlavud

Post by slimlavud »

Oh, I forgot to say - my BX that you want to buy, has a brand new coil, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm and plugs fitted... and starts first time every time, hot or freezing cold!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

slimlavud wrote:Oh, I forgot to say - my BX that you want to buy, has a brand new coil, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm and plugs fitted... and starts first time every time, hot or freezing cold!
Slimlavud, that's a very short honeymoon to divorce period isn't it? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Progress report.
Ive been up this morning to the farm in the freezing conditions ontop of the moors here in Yorkshire .I nicked the coil and ignition module of my 14E and swapped them in turn onto the 14TGE.It didnt seem to be the module so i then changed the coil.It coffed and spluttered then roared into life and when i reassembled the air filter system settled down to a lovely sweet tick over.
Ive just ordered the replacement parts from Ebay to get the 14E running again .My next job is to change the wheels for a set with decent tyres as these have been sat for 4 years and are knackered,plus i dont know if there proper BX wheels as the TGE wheeltrims didnt seem to want to go on.
I can then get it home and attack it with a buffer,go round and see what if anything needs doing for the test.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

:D :D