hydraulic stop light flashing on.

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

hydraulic stop light flashing on.

Post by tim »

I'm resubmitting this as a separate item cos I was told it might well have been not noticed in my last posting. When you stamp hard on the brakes the hydraulic light flashes on, this is when stationary. A quick road test (the beast is completely illegal until the MOT in a weeks time) shows nothing wrong. The brakes work fine and the red light won't come on.When raising the wagon into the 'high' position the light will flash on and off quite a bit and takes some time to settle down. Could it be the regulator. if not, how do I sort this out...yes, if it ever stops raining I will try pulling the wire of the security valve to see what happens. The beast has done 119.000 and has been standing for three or four years - it has also seemingly been use as a towing wagon due to second fan, big towbar and two trailer plugs. Anything likely to have suffered from that? Yes, the LHM is full and the ball is moving up and down OK. I have tried bleeding the system, but may not for long enough? Help! I have just read about the belt tension at the pump but it SEEMS ok, don't think it's actually slipping anyway.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Are you sure it's not just the brake pad warning light that's coming on, to tell you your pads are down :?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Could be as Ken says, but how are you checking the LHM level? With the car on High setting?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Brake pad warning is orange and does not cause the STOP light to come on.

I also go with the LHM Reservoir not being at the correct level and being misread by the operator(you) as being full.

Sometimes simplist fixs are the most obvious and we chooose to overlook, Fill up the reservoir with another 500ml (1/2 litre) and then see it the same thing occurs. my guess is you may need a full litre of lhm to fix this because it is not a problem.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Tim, do you know how to check the lhm level in the reservoir?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Yes, fluid level is OK. I have plenty of practice with the wife's BX! If it wasn't, there would probably be an occasional flickering light on the normal ride setting as I was going down the road. I deliberately mentioned the fact that the ball is moving because I found an old thread from someone who was fooled into thinking his tank was full because his level ball was stuck. I'm going to try unplugging the sensor this a.m. (sunshine - wow) If anything the fluid level is overhigh so no probs there - I just did the spheres so the system has been bled and topped up as well (and no, the problem was there before I did that so it's unlikely to be relevant). I am still learning my way round the BX system - does hitting the brake pedal and the fact that the light then comes on anything to DO with the brakes? (and raising to 'high' doesn't of course, which is where the problem shows up again). I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction as to which component is the likely culprit. I'm also going to take the lh front wheel off and have a good eyeball inside. I'll keep you posted! Thanks for all the input so far, it's been invaluable. I suspect a fluid leak may be a MOT failure, the warning light probably not as long as the brakes measure up on the tester.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I know you have tried to impress strongly that your LHM level is ok but forgive me for suggesting that the level sensor is a little sensitive and topping up a little higher may well cure this without any risk of damage. i.e nothing to loose by trying.
Kev
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

No - it really is full up! No question. You can see clearly both by sight gauge and looking through the cap. Sigh.... if only it was just that! I still think we are looking at 'component failure' somewhere but I'm not experienced enough to know which component to zero in on. Either something is giving a false reading or something is giving up the ghost.Perhaps I should rephrase the question.... what could it NOT be? There is plenty of fluid, the brakes work fine, it isnt pissing out anywhere (except for my puddlette which is elusive but not major and won't even show itself this morning). i looked at the pump having read about how tight the belt has to be; I slackened it right off to test the pulleys, it has started squeaking and there is a certain amount of slop on the pump pulley wheel before it starts working the innards - but even if the pump is dying it would presumably still pump OK until the final cardiac moment. Over to you, experts!
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Check the rear light/stop light bulbs, a backfeed through the circuits could be your problem. Gibbo.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Throw another one into the "Coul it be" circle

FDV blockage with a bit of crud.

After overhauling my FDV I had this problem with the STOP light which was a result of me putting a filter in the FDV the wrong way around. Then there was a problem with gung in another BX.

Heres the way out obvious thing to do!

Clean out the reservoir and change your LHM to new stuff or some of that hydrwotsit stuff to help cleans the systems dirt.