help! GTI wiring assistance needed!

BX Tech talk
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

help! GTI wiring assistance needed!

Post by NZ16v »

ok bx gurus,

Finally got this terrible GTI back to a startable state, after over a month in bits, and a coulpe of weeks as a write off- NOT a good start....

Sooo, i cleaned up the wiring loom as best as i could, resoldering the 20 yr old joins where required, and ended up moving a set of earths to the battery point, as they were too short from previous bodges...

...and now were here.

We have the old girl turning over, but no catch-we had a momentary hope, when dad was checking earths off the computer connector of all things! So we tried earthing the computers wires back to the car, to see if there was a dodgy wire- nothing, ARRRGH!

So, here we are, in a very familiar situation- a 20 year old loom, pulled out of a car 5 weeks ago, back in after a solid clean up- but still stiff as farck and generally stuffed...

...Car has new camshaft and cambelt, new oil filter, coolant,rad is cleaned and flushed, entire engine cleaned up, looks great, soooo close to getting into a great daily for someone, now this.

So if anyone has a Citroen factory loom diagram/manual-no haynes stuff PLZ, we are close but no cigar on that front,would be fantastic!

Someone has lifted my dads workshop manuals for the BX electrics, and the technical bulletins would help a great deal!

Our final idea is to once again get the loom out, and properly pin her up and rebuild it-but shes really not worth it-she cost about a 100squid, and rust is getting in a bit, and the hydraulic returns are ferked-she isnt a valver, so in this "Falkner NZ" world, she isnt worth saving.- we have 3 running, mint 16vs in our clutch, a third as a wreck in the roof, and a fourth on the way!!!!!!

If anyone can help getting her off the scrapheap, please do!

I kinda want her as a daily, as one valver is too good to drive all the time, and the other is about to get a heart and structure transplant!

Chur!
one thing better than owning a 16v-owning TWO 16vs
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

You mention that the cambelt has been replaced..Is it possible that you maybe mis-timed the belt when replacing it? It is possibly a tooth or 2 out.

When my cambelt slipped a couple of notches in an old Fiat, it too almost once gave a sign of kicking over.

Just a thought
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

So many possibilities here that you need to determine the basics are happening or not happening before you can proceed with anything. First check is fuel system then look at ignition if you believe you have connected the loom correctly.

Is the fuel rail pressurised by the electric fuel pump? When the ignition is "on" the pump is under the command of the ecu and won't pump until the engine is running. When the ignition is moved to start there is an overide to this and the pump will pump as long as this position is held.

Also, how long is it since the engine has been run? The injectors themselves can stick with non-use and may need cleaning/servicing to get them going again.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I agree, when a car wont start its time for back to basics. Fuelspark injection timing et al.

If you need wiring diagrams and electrics then look here : http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/

Good luck......in case you need it.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.